Advice on Intergas HRE 28/24 not firing heating

If the boiler is saying 5 and 1 then it is reacting to Evo Home.

You need to figure out why hgte heat isn't travelling away from the boiler.

The only thing in the boiler that can cause this is the pump. But I have never had one dead out of the box.

Your installer or you need to fault find the heating system. Make sure the lockshield valves are open too.

Sponsored Links
if its a standard efficiency pump did your installer spin it manually while commissioning it?. if it is and he didnt then you need to get inside and try it,but you should be able to use a screwdriver as a stethoscope against the return pipe, if you hear a hum the pump is stuck.

i've only skim read this thread,sorry if its already been suggested.

DOH - good thinking batman....

Been so used to the new ERP pumps didn't even think of that.

OP -

upload_2015-12-24_19-55-7.png

Undo the brass flathead screw in the centre of the pump and then use the screwdriver to spin the impeller in behind it. The arrow in that picture is NOT pointing to the right place.

Don't drop the cap - it is a bugger to get out if it goes down the bottom of the tray.

When I remove the brass flat head screw, a small amount of water drips out at a constant pace. the screw inside is hard to access, but is not centrally placed and hard to turn. I rotated it in the direction of the arrow on the housing. Its stiff, and didn't loosen. Warning to anyone looking to do the same.. the water is HOT (Obviously)

Is the housing supposed to be watertight beyond the brass screw? I.e. does the fact that I get water out mean its screwed?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I get a buzz listening to the pump through the screwdriver when the unit is on, but its still overheating (showing a 1)

I have taken the Evohome TRVs off (assuming no TRV means the valves are 'open'.)

Just to be sure, for the valves at the other end of each rad- is 'open' full clockwise as you look at it from above, or anti-clockwise? I've tried it with both, but it would reduce walking mileage to know for sure! ha ha.

Last edited:
A bit of water is perfectly normal.

If the boiler is showing a number 1 or 5 then that inner bit should be spinning by itself.

If you are trying to spin it and it is resisting then the pump sounds like it is guffed.

Not sure if Intergas will change it under warranty as it could have been run dry. But they are reasonable.

The pumps stuck. To be fair it's not suprising given how this threads gone!

You could try leaving it off overnight to cool then trying to free it again but it's almost certainly Donald Ducked :(

If the boiler is registered with building control with benchmark filled in then Intergas will change the pump. If the boiler hasn't been registered with them you will only get a two year warranty rather than 5 or 7 years (depending when it was installed).

Any pictures of the install??

Last edited:
Well.....

I left the boiler overnight to cool.

This morning, I spend half an hour forcing the pump round. It got easier as I did it, but it got very stiff at one position, so I thought that was it.

Fired it up, no change.

Manually turned it again, fired a second time, and this time I heard the rush of water, and it stayed on 5 for longer.....

One last go.... Success!

I have heating for the first time in 2 years!!!!!

Oh my god people!!!!

Thank you so much! Best Christmas present ever! My house is too hot now- its amazing!:D:mrgreen:(y)

Last edited:
How many rads do you have?

You need to set the heating flow to 70 degrees max and the hot water to 52 degrees. It's very simple in the user guide

Then we need to range rate the heating. If you have less than 10 rads parameter 3 can be set down to 40% or so. The boiler will be nearly silent at that setting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back