Birkini

I like to speculate that this whole burkini-gate thing can be blamed on its stupid name. When you say 'burkini' to your average French mayor I bet he imagines a full face covering, you know, like a burkah. Sound reasonable? There are good reasons to want to ban full head coverings in public, and the French have a law for just that. Hence the burkini is banned too, right? Right??
Except, the burkini doesn't cover the face. D'oh! What moron named that, then??
hijab-chador-niqab-burka-differences-comparison-explained.jpg
Marks___Spencer_3597993b.jpg

35s7cv.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes, Good point - similar to the newsreader criticised for wearing THE HIJAB which, according to Google Translate, just means scarf.

So, she was criticised for wearing THE HIJAB instead of a scarf.

When will we persuade nuns to stop wearing THE HABIT ?

Never assume those in charge know what they are doing.

There have been Asian newsreaders for years , some probably muslim, and none have worn "controversial" clothing before. This reader has been put on screen deliberately to get a reaction , and judging from her demeanour she is not comfortable doing it .

I have never seen her, myself, but was commenting more on the wording which makes it, to some, controversial and that was likely the intention.

If those who wish it to be controversial call it THE HIJAB instead of a scarf, then we can draw our own conclusions.

Why do some British use Arabic words, if not to invoke some adverse reaction or instill some unsavoury response?

When Richard Coles is on panel games, why does he wear THE ALSSALIB ?

Sponsored Links
What would be the reaction if we wandered into a shop, or drove around wearing a balaclava ?

I called at the bank today and the ladies behind the counter were very friendly and chatty, but I think I would have got a somewhat different reception had I entered wearing a balaclava.

Yes, there are lots of such examples.

When banks have been robbed by women or, indeed, men in burkas then you can bet something would be done.
Has any kind of crime been carried out by people in burkas?
Have we given some criminals an idea or other people who want to get burkas banned ?

People didn't like me wearing dresses to work but then - I'm not a bishop.

Ok. Fair enough.

Luton - wonder where they got the idea.

Can't be very common or something would be done.

No, I would draw the line at that but we were talking about scarves until transam introduced balaclavas.

No one would read the news wearing a crash helmet - unless Himmy says it would be racist to prevent them.

Get it? Crash helmet, motor bike, racist.
Although, second thoughts. He says racism need not involve race so - oh never mind.

No, I would draw the line at that but we were talking about scarves until transam introduced balaclavas.

No one would read the news wearing a crash helmet - unless Himmy says it would be racist to prevent them.

Get it? Crash helmet, motor bike, racist.
Although, second thoughts. He says racism need not involve race so - oh never mind.
It would appear that the French are one step ahead, as usual.

Sponsored Links
Back