Goodbye Jeremy

I'm sure that younger people have no problems with this, but some of us older ones yearn for the days when such things were more mentally challenging!
Things like "it ain't half hot mum", "are you being served", "steptoe and son", "magic roundabout", or perhaps even "til death us do part". Or maybe you fancy the high brow "black and white minstrel show"?

Yep, it was all so intellectual back then alright. ;)

Sponsored Links
Pity he never had a full on scrap with Paul Daniels and the two of them got banned from tv for life..... cannot stand that little pr1ck

Pity he never had a full on scrap with Paul Daniels and the two of them got banned from tv for life..... cannot stand that little pr1ck
Went to see daniels about 3 or so years ago. Singularly unimpressive but at least he was making a living for his family assistants and other stage crew.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that younger people have no problems with this, but some of us older ones yearn for the days when such things were more mentally challenging!
Things like "it ain't half hot mum", "are you being served", "steptoe and son", "magic roundabout", or perhaps even "til death us do part". Or maybe you fancy the high brow "black and white minstrel show"?

I think you're comparing chalk and cheese here. Yes, comedy shows were not produced with the intention of taxing the brain and, of course, at least a couple of the examples you give were found humorous in the days before the 'professionally offended' held sway.

I was thinking more about the 'Yob-TV' programmes such as Jeremy Kyle, Big Brother and several others featuring talentless 'celebrities'.

To return to the genre of comedy, I feel that they have run out of ideas and the present day 'comedians' whose idea of humour is aiming to include as many swear words as they can think of. Compare these to naturally funny men like Tommy Cooper and Les Dawson.

The BBC's loss could be UKIP'S gain, Jeremy could get a job writing UKIP's manifesto, anyone who can mock the poor and disabled and still get a million morons to vote for him in an online petition is political gold.

The BBC's loss could be UKIP'S gain, Jeremy could get a job writing UKIP's manifesto, anyone who can mock the poor and disabled and still get a million morons to vote for him in an online petition is political gold.

Not fair. UKIP has nothing against the poor and disabled. In fact, their stated intention to reduce immigration would be to the direct advantage of the poor and low-paid whose jobs are being usurped by East Europeans (and others) who are willing to work for peanuts.

Not fair. UKIP has nothing against the poor and disabled. In fact, their stated intention to reduce immigration would be to the direct advantage of the poor and low-paid whose jobs are being usurped by East Europeans (and others) who are willing to work for peanuts.

I'm not a UKIP supporter but I don't think they have anything that's anti Disability.

I think you're comparing chalk and cheese here. Yes, comedy shows were not produced with the intention of taxing the brain and, of course, at least a couple of the examples you give were found humorous in the days before the 'professionally offended' held sway.

I was thinking more about the 'Yob-TV' programmes such as Jeremy Kyle, Big Brother and several others featuring talentless 'celebrities'.

To return to the genre of comedy, I feel that they have run out of ideas and the present day 'comedians' whose idea of humour is aiming to include as many swear words as they can think of. Compare these to naturally funny men like Tommy Cooper and Les Dawson.
That's the nature of evolving humour, although I have no doubt that the use of profanities as an integral part of a comedian's act was prevalent at the time in pubs and clubs but not then acceptable on TV.

On the subject of Clarkson, as with all things, it's not mandatory to watch him nor indeed watch any TV show. So what if a significant number of people are happy to watch TG in its current format and laugh at Clarkson's parody of the absurd. I find it humorous and indeed refreshing for his turns of non PC phrases to be allowed through all of the production and editing process (indeed, whilst pointing the finger at him for the use of particular words and that number plate in Argentina, one should also remember that these were passed/condoned by the whole production crew at the time and during the editing stage, so it seems particularly unfair that he should have been singled out as the main culprit).

If he apologised to the producer and they are OK about working together, then he should be reinstated and allowed to get on with things. Once ratings start to drop, that's the time to draw a line and pull the plug.

Fair point, I should have wrote Tory party instead of UKIP, get them mixed up sometimes :confused:

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR

You forgot bleedin' Alf Garnett...

You forgot bleedin' Alf Garnett...
er, he was in til death us do part

Sponsored Links
Back