Help !!!!!! no registration

can you not sell a house without the boiler being registered like? Thought the HIP's pack were being done away with.

Solicitors ask a lot of questions we had this when we sold the mum in laws after she died, we could not find the certificate or any servicing records and had to have a inspection done at our cost before our buyers would sign the contract

what kind of inspection? CP12 type thing?

Not up on the terminology as I am not a heating engineer but I know they did a full service and safety check but wouldnt know what this involved

I am guessing checking for combustion and gas analysis etc :confused:

just sounds like a landlords cert (used to be a CP12) usually only charge £45 for a combi

Sponsored Links
can you not sell a house without the boiler being registered like? Thought the HIP's pack were being done away with.

Solicitors ask a lot of questions we had this when we sold the mum in laws after she died, we could not find the certificate or any servicing records and had to have a inspection done at our cost before our buyers would sign the contract

what kind of inspection? CP12 type thing?

Not up on the terminology as I am not a heating engineer but I know they did a full service and safety check but wouldnt know what this involved

I am guessing checking for combustion and gas analysis etc :confused:

just sounds like a landlords cert (used to be a CP12) usually only charge £45 for a combi

Sounds about right I think we paid around £50 for the certificate can't remember what the service cost though the OH dealt with it and split the cost with her sister as they inherited the estate

Well theres the answer for the OP just get a CP12 (landlords cert) done to show every things ok. Should be less than £70, still bet you are still making a saving since you probz paid cash in hand in the first place

Although technically there is still the issue of whether or not the boiler is properly fixed to the wall - this a CP12 cannot establish. I suppose you could turn off the gas and give it a good yank and see what happens, but that's sort of like destructive testing.

That's why GasSafe regs say that work shouldn't be signed off or deemed as safe by anyone except the original installer.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to thank all you guys for your input, I know I'v been a dickhead but now I think I know what to do next. Thanks again :D

...As expected he has gone to ground. My problem is I can't find anyone to sign it off, I would like to sell up, what can I do now.

1. You are responsible as the home owner to ensure that anyone working on the gas is registered. By not doing so, you have committed a criminal offence.

2. You buy cheap, you get cheap.
Not only was the install illegal, it is very unlikely that it was done correctly, and quite possibly not even safely.

3. By "signing it off" the bona fide installer will accept legal responsibility for all the defects and dangers that the cowboy left. I'm sure you can work out your chances of finding a proper RGI, willing to do this.

...Well all you need to do is to ask your mate for the name and address of his mate! Its that simple.

You then ask him why he did an illegal installation for you and tell him that you are having to get a registered person to reinstall and commission the boiler and compete the paperwork and you need that "mate" to meet the cost.

Tony

Slight problem with that Tony.

They guy is obviously a cowboy. Cowboys don't care. And as the cheapskate homeowner is as guilty as the cowboy, he isn't in a position to take legal action.
In other words: he got what he deserved.

. By "signing it off" the bona fide installer will accept legal responsibility for all the defects and dangers that the cowboy left.

Under GWN there is no such thing as 3rd party 'sign off'. The only way it can be done theoretically is for an RGI to falsely claim the install as his own.

There is no vehicle to certify other peoples gas work. A CP12 is not an installation or LABC document, it is a statement of the state of gas safety.

. By "signing it off" the bona fide installer will accept legal responsibility for all the defects and dangers that the cowboy left.

Under GWN there is no such thing as 3rd party 'sign off'. The only way it can be done theoretically is for an RGI to falsely claim the install as his own.

Not quite true, but not something I am prepared to give details about on the open forum. It is theoretical any way, as no penny pincher would be willing to fork out the costs involved.

Despite careful research I also finished up with no registration.
I had a Vaillant 418 open vent boiler fited to my system in 2007. The installing company was CORGI registered and I even checked their registration certificate on line. They also supplied a copy of this document as I wanted to be very careful. Now to the problem; The installation was , in my opinion, carried out to a high standard with prolonged pressure wash etc by competent plumbers. They worked very slowly and took nearly five days to complete. Boiler tested and all ok. Benchmark completed, except for Corgi registration, which I was told would arrive by post in due course. Quite happy with that. Phoned installer several weeks later to ask about registration certificate and found company had ceased trading and left premises. Contacted Corgi who said he was still registered for next 6 months. Unable to trace company resistered owner but Corgi wrote letter stating that since He didn't register the installation their was nothing they could do.
Motto: make sure registration is completed as soon as installation is done, or withhold cash until certificate is received. Comments welcomed.

Best bet is to get at least a dozen quotes - but nearer 20 if you can. Then try not to laugh when you read the prices on some of them. :p

Motto: make sure registration is completed as soon as installation is done, or withhold cash until certificate is received. Comments welcomed.

This is an entirely different scenario.
Your boiler is properly installed and commissioned, therefore safe and legal.
The only thing you don't have is the notification. This is not a problem as it is:
meaningless
useless (as in: you don't need it for anything )
it has never been enforced (there are tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of boilers without it).
it is now being phased out.

Best bet is to get at least a dozen quotes - but nearer 20 if you can. Then try not to laugh when you read the prices on some of them. :p

A typical "Joe" response:
Factually wrong
Irrelevant
Impractical
Pointless

No wonder when you consider this comes from a self-proclaimed cowboy. :rolleyes:

It might be an idea to withhold a small amount until you get a notification number which is given immediately online and is proof of notification. However the time taken for client to recieve the certificate is out of the installer's control and can take weeks.

Any way, I wouldn't register any unpaid installation. I doubt many will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back