Is My Masterplug RCD Safe? Please Help!

Quite - but, as I've been saying to EFLI, the whole thing is incredibly odd, to have generated so much debate, contoversy and passion, from experts and 'lay' people alike, despite the basic simplicity of 'the truth'.
I should perhaps clarify what it is that most of the “debate, controversy and passion” has all been about ....

Most intelligent and numerate people do not take too much convincing of what the correct answer actually is, not the least because it can be demonstrated by simulation. As below (**), just a few repetitions of a simulation of 5 games (which can easily be done with ‘scraps of paper’) shows very convincingly the advantage of switching.

The problem all relates to an understanding of why this is the case - i.e. they remained troubled by the fact that they find it hard to 'believe' the answer, even though they 'know' it is true. Many will be fairly easily convinced that the probability of the first-chosen-door winning remains at its initial one-third, regardless of any subsequent happenings, and that obviously means that the probability of winning with the one remaining door (e.g. after switching) must be two-thirds. However, many people (probably most people, at least initially) have difficulty is understanding why/how the probability of winning with that final door (i.e. after switching) rises from one-third to two-thirds following the ‘reveal’.

Plugwash explained this in terms of the probabilities (each one-third) of winning with the ‘two remaining doors’ having been ‘merged together’ into the one door remaining after the reveal, by someone who is constrained by rules and knows where the car is. That is, indeed, the explanation, but people seem to have difficulty in ‘accepting’ it.

Many will, at least initially, claim that there is an inconsistency – that the explanation relies on the fact that the probability of the first-chosen door winning cannot change as a result of subsequent events, yet also relies on the fact that the probability of winning with the door which ends up being the only other choice does change as a result of subsequent events.

There are (at least) two ways of explaining why this is not an inconsistency (i.e. why the reveal changes the probability associated with the one remaining door). The first, which is essentially exactly the same as plugwash said, is that the reveal actually effects the probability of winning with two.of the doors - the probability of winning with the door revealed to have a goat is changed to zero, and since the total probability of winning associated with those two doors together must remain unchanged (at two-thirds), all of that two-thirds probability must then exist in the one remaining door. However, that’s so close to what plugwash said that those unconvinced by plugwash will probably not be convinced by this slightly different way of wording it.

The second way of attempting to explain, again as raised by plugwash, is by pointing out the importance of the fact that the host does not ‘reveal at random’ from the two doors chosen left after the contestant’s choice – he is constrained not to reveal the car. If the host did pick one of those two remaining doors at random to be revealed, no probabilities would be changed and the advantage of switching would therefore totally disappear (****see simulation below). It is only because his reveal is non-random that the probability of winning associated with the one remaining door changes; the host has changed the probability of winning associated with the 'final remaining door' by application of his knowledge of where the car actually is. By analogy, someone who had 'advance knowledge' of, say, the winning number at roulette could alter the probability of a particular bet winning if they 'revealed' (before people placed their bets - or chnaged an initial one) some of the numbers which were not going to win. If they revealed most of the numbers which were not going to win, those who bet on the few remaining numbers would obviously have a much higher chance of winning than had there been no such 'reveal'.

Kind Regards, John

** Herewith results of simulations of the Monty Hall game as played. I present the first five results for random simulation runs, with 5, 20, 1,000 and 1,000,000 games per run. As can be seen, the simulation gets very close to the truth’ by 1,000 games/run – but even with just 5 games per run (easily done with scraps of paper), the advantage of switching is quite obvious:
**** If one changes the rules, such that the host picks at random one of the two doors remaining after the contestant has made their choice (i.e. one-third probability of host revealing the car), then the benefit of switching totally disappears; all three doors continue to have the same one-third of probability they always had, whether the contestant switches or not:

Sponsored Links
A couple of errors (formating/typos) in the simulation results for N=5 corrected for the 'changed rules'simulations (host opening door at random):
Apologies for the errors.

Kind Regards, John

I didn`t realise this was on BBC News yesterday about the Monty Hall Thingy.

I bet the OP is wondering what he started on here.
He only needed an answer about power surges and RCDs then I went off at a tangent about two RCDs (might) be better than one (in some circumstances) and it went from there.

sorry OP :D

I didn`t realise this was on BBC News yesterday about the Monty Hall Thingy.
Nor did I - what did they have to say about it?
I bet the OP is wondering what he started on here. He only needed an answer about power surges and RCDs ...
Even that was 'forced'onto him - all he actually wanted to know (per thread title) was whether his Masterplug RCD was faulty!
...then I went off at a tangent about two RCDs (might) be better than one (in some circumstances) and it went from there. sorry OP :D
Indeed. As I said yesterday, I'd love to be able to chop this into three (or four) threads. However, as I understand it, it seems that even the mods don't have that ability, except by moving messages one at a time into a new thread. Other forums where I've had admin powers, chopping/splitting threads has been just a 'couple of clicks' job!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
An argument which convinces most people of the right answer (even if it leaves many of them still ‘troubled’ by that answer) is:
  • Consider an awkward and stubborn contestant. Having chosen a door (with a one-third probability of winning), (s)he says “I’m not interested in anything else you are going to do or say. I’m going to go to the bar with this key – please call me when it’s time for me to come back and open the door that this key fits”.

Few people would/could argue that the probability of that person winning when they returned and ‘opened the door that this key fits’ was anything different from the one-third that it was when they chose it.

Once one has established that, it follows that the one remaining unopened door when the contestant returned must have had a probability of winning of two-thirds – since the rules of the game are such that one or other of those two unopened doors must be the ‘winner’, so the probabilities associated with those two doors must add up to 1.0 (100%).
... but then, as I said, many will continue to be ‘troubled’, even when they accept the above argument!

Kind Regards, John

People also get remarkably confused by the rowing boat/hat/bridges puzzle, until you show them an equivalent with which they are instantly familiar.

People also get remarkably confused by the rowing boat/hat/bridges puzzle, until you show them an equivalent with which they are instantly familiar.
There are countless problems/puzzles like this, and I suppose the common feature tends to be the illustration that 'intuition' should not always be relied upon - because it can be just plain wrong! However, the MH problem seems to stand out by virtue of the seemingly inexplicable extent of the 'argument' there has been about it, even amongst experts, given that robust 'proofs' are not that difficult to construct.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back