Not Heard of This New One

I buy a reasonable amount of cars a year, less and less as the good old ones disappear though.

My concern is the hassle of obtaining tax on a vehicle I have just bought. If I travel 500 miles to view a car and find it not to be a dog and buy it, how do I tax it?

Is the tax automatically invalid the moment I sign the V5c?

Does it last until the former keeper sends in the V5c and it's processed?

I'm not going to pay for tax on a car I haven't seen so I can only do it when I have bought it. Say I can't get a signal on my mobile or the website/phoneline isn't working or won't take my card, what do I do?

I think I will be taking my chances and driving it home and sorting it there, seems like a bit of a faff.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify a couple of misconceptions.
You can drive a vehicle with insurance, but without MOT and tax, e.g. back and fore to MOT station, and back and fore to repairs station (for MOT work). Soemtimes, even for warming the engine pior to the test (for CAT testing, etc.)

Just to clarify your misconception of a misconception this has been discussed elsewhere. Do not assume you are covered with no MOT.

//www.diynot.com/forums/automotives/vehicle-tax-and-mot-renewal-question.405561/[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Nick, I added an Edit before seeing your response.
No insurance policy has ever had a condition that the vehicle must have a current MOT. Many do have conditions about roadworthiness.
I guess, in the event of a claim, it would be a conversation about how unroadworthy the vehicle was/is and whether the driver could have/should have foreseen the condition of the vehicle.

Just to clarify a couple of misconceptions.
You can drive a vehicle with insurance, but without MOT and tax, e.g. back and fore to MOT station, and back and fore to repairs station (for MOT work). Soemtimes, even for warming the engine pior to the test (for CAT testing, etc.)

Just to clarify your misconception of a misconception this has been discussed elsewhere. Do not assume you are covered with no MOT.

//www.diynot.com/forums/automotives/vehicle-tax-and-mot-renewal-question.405561/[/QUOTE]
Sorry, Nick, I added an Edit before seeing your response.
No insurance policy has ever had a condition that the vehicle must have a current MOT. Many do have conditions about roadworthiness.
I guess, in the event of a claim, it would be a conversation about how unroadworthy the vehicle was/is and whether the driver could have/should have foreseen the condition of the vehicle.

Possibly true about not specifically stipulating MOT but you and I both know the questions that will be asked if you have a crash on your way to an MOT.

I do it quite a lot with Motorbikes and cars and it's not something I ever want to happen to me. I could forsee quite a lot of letters/phonecalls flying about to clear that one up. I can also bet the onus will be on you to prove it was roadworthy at the time of the crash.

Lets face it the insurer will do everything to try and wriggle out of a claim on a vehicle with no MOT.

Lets face it the insurer will do everything to try and wriggle out of a claim on a vehicle with no MOT.
Perhaps, but legally they would have no chance of success.

I also dissagree that one would have to prove that the vehicle was roadworthy, quite the reverse I think, if it ever went to judication.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps, but legally they would have no chance of success.

I also dissagree that one would have to prove that the vehicle was roadworthy, quite the reverse I think, if it ever went to judication.

Well lets hope neither of us find out. I have a rather handy stick to use on them if it ever does happen though.

Back