One for the remain nutters

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We have to quit,

quoting from https://ec.europa.eu/energy/en/news/phase-out-inefficient-lamps-postponed-1-september-2018

Why are certain halogen lamps being phased-out?

Halogen lamps are very inefficient (energy efficiency class "D"). Novel technologies, such as LEDs offer a high savings potential: the consumption of a halogen lamp is often more than five times higher than the one of an energy-efficient LED. As a result, Member States agreed in 2009 that such inefficient "D"-class halogen lamps should be phased-out from 1 September 2016.

By analysing the lighting market and technological developments, the Commission came to the conclusion that 1 September 2016 would be too early for LED technology to fully replace

They make a decision to phase out some types of lamps, then after making the decision they do some research and analyse the data and find their decision was wrong. In this case it is only a type of lamp bulb, what other decisions might they make before doing the necessary research into the reality of the situation.

Politicians detachment from matters of maths, science, technology and industry is staggering. It would be funny if it weren't so endemic.

It would be funny if it weren't so endemic.
Please re-phrase, replace endemic with hazardous.

Hazardous to industry, personal wealth and personal safety.

The politicians ban something which has been previously been produced to good safe standards in the EC without realising this ban opens up the trade in poorly made illegally imported items that consumers want to continue to use as they did before the ban.

Making it illegal to import certain items does not stop the items being imported ( smuggled ) and sold in the EC. It does mean that people buying these cheap un-safe items are putting themselve and others at risk by using them.

We have to quit,

It's lovely to see that Bernard seeks to support his opinion by referencing a document that says:

"On 17 April 2015 Member States agreed to the Commission's proposal to postpone the phase-out of inefficient "D"-class halogen lamps by two years to 1 September 2018."

It's a shame it took him more than a year to read it.

It does also say:
"From 1 September 2018 onwards, some non-directional mains-voltage halogen lamps (mainly the pear-shaped ones) will no longer be brought to the market.

This decision does not affect
- directional halogen lamps, such as popular spotlights
- halogen lamps often used in desk lamps and flood lights"

which may be of interest to consumers who have a use for the more common varieties of halogens.

Perhaps Bernard's fortune-telling skills would have enabled him to better forecast the rate of technological development in 2009. Perhaps not. Perhaps he is unaware of the Theory of Deadlines. Perhaps not.

Last edited:
Sounds like Bernard does.

Or maybe he is just posturing.

I do. They're cheap, unobtrusive, and very bright for their power
However, I will probably switch to LED bulbs when the price comes down. At the moment a 100W equivalent costs over £10, which is a couple of year's worth of halogens, or more. I don't trust an LED bulb to last that long (perhaps unfairly).

Last edited:
I do. They're cheap, unobtrusive, and very bright for their power
However, I will probably switch to LED bulbs when the price comes down. (At the moment a 100W equivalent costs over £10, which is a couple of year's worth of halogens, or more. I don't trust an LED bulb to last that long (perhaps unfairly).
I swapped the halogens in our kitchen with four LEDs. I probably got too high a lumen level, but they have paid for themselves already. And they were bought in 2013 when they were even more expensive.

They have come down in price since, and if you are using a light for a few hours per day are worth swapping before the old type fails. Otherwise, wait until said bulb fails before buying LED for it. They do on average last longer, although one of our kitchen lights failed after a few months. The other are all ok, and should last many years (longer than other bulbs).

100w equivalents are tricky to find, but they are out there. I got a 12w LED for our dining room. Probably a bit below a 100w equivalent, but still more than enough, and they are getting better.

You need to shop around online to get the best deals, like most things.
Edit:
This looks like a good equivalent:
http://www.leds4less.co.uk/100w-equ...sic-gls-globe--warm-white--integral-482-p.asp

Wickes LED lamps are about half the price of Tescos

I needed a pearl golfball LED recently, for a landing alcove, and ended up getting a Duracell one on fleabay. Very pleased with it.

Sounds like Bernard does.

Or maybe he is just posturing.

I still use incandescents ( not halogen ) as they can be very simply dimmed by connecting 2 in series. No electronic dimmer required so no RF energy radiated from a switched mode voltage regulator. Mains series / parallel ( dimmed / bright ) switching uses relays controlled by switches operating on ELV ( 12 volt ). Being an engineer of course I did put a bespoke controller between switches and relays to give some "home automation" functions. Ringing the door bell after dusk turns on the lamp so I can find the keyhole.

The heat "wasted" by the incandescent lamps reduces the amount of heat required to heat the rooms. The internals of the outdoor lamps are kept dry by the "waste" heat.

Sponsored Links
Back