Smell of gas when doors/window open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Bit of an odd question but hoping someone can help. We had a new gasco stove installed a while back and had the installers out as we could smell gas, which happened when we had the patio doors open on the same room.

Installers came out and checked everything and no leaks etc so couldn't explain it.

Now, the stove is turned off, the pilot is off but with the windows open today, there is a smell of gas again.

I've tried using the leak detector spray on the gas connections etc but can't see any sign of a leak.

Any suggestions why this would happen when the windows are open?

Every so often we might get a small smell without doors/windows open but nowhere near as bad as with the windows open.

Thanks , Karl

Sponsored Links
Hi All

Bit of an odd question but hoping someone can help. We had a new gasco stove installed a while back and had the installers out as we could smell gas, which happened when we had the patio doors open on the same room.

Installers came out and checked everything and no leaks etc so couldn't explain it.

Now, the stove is turned off, the pilot is off but with the windows open today, there is a smell of gas again.

I've tried using the leak detector spray on the gas connections etc but can't see any sign of a leak.

Any suggestions why this would happen when the windows are open?

Every so often we might get a small smell without doors/windows open but nowhere near as bad as with the windows open.
Thanks , Karl
ts
Either the gas valve is passing, or it is what - or was - known as an "outsider". Phone 0800 111999, and Transco (or whatever they are now called), will investigate FOC

Have you just moved in or been there a while?

I once worked at a house and kept smelling gas. I told the owner and got him all worried. Then his daughter turned up and explained that it was from a refinery a few miles away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all

Phoned the number, engineer out within an hour and found a small leak coming from the feed into the stove. Joint is in an awkward place so couldn't get spanner to it to tighten so now gas is off until we get the people back who installed it to sort it out!!

Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Thanks again.

I take it that "the gas is off" means the cooker has been isolated, not the whole installation?

Unless the leak is "inside" the appliance how come the cooker was not pulled out, and all external connections would then be accessible?

I take it that "the gas is off" means the cooker has been isolated, not the whole installation?

Unless the leak is "inside" the appliance how come the cooker was not pulled out, and all external connections would then be accessible?

A "stove" in this context is a room heater - not a cooker

FiremanT,

thank you, i was wrong, i stand corrected.

However, i still assume that the stove was the only part of the installation to be isolated?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back