the dole queue beckons again... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I'll get stick from some of the members on here who are less than sympathetic for the plight of the unemployed, but I've been festering in silence all weekend and have to vent...

On friday I went into the office to ask a question about a drawing, and as I was leaving the boss said "While you're here, we've had a look at the order book and the work's slacking off so in about 2 weeks we won't need you.. the 17th will be your last day."
"One of the big projects we were waiting for hasn't kicked off so we haven't got enough to keep 3 of you ( plus the 2 bosses and his wife who makes links for free ) busy."
"If it picks up again after new years we'll give you a call"..

All perfectly reasonable and understandable, but telling me at 2pm on a friday has ruined my weekend as I've been sat here fretting about going back on the dole and what to do about christmas...

The worst part is that because of the diet, my usual coping mechanisms aren't available ( junk food and alcohol.. )

I don't expect any sympathy, but I just needed to vent somewhere..
can't tell my mom and dad either or it will make them fret and ruin their christmas too...

Sponsored Links
not sure if you realise your first port off call will be on line or on the phone to register for "unemployment benefit" you can not apply for benefits in your local office it is all done by phone or on line you need to phone new claims to benefit on 0800 055 6688 but not until 2 or 3 days before your last payed day or the last day your redundancy holiday pay or other severance runs out

you can do it on line and they will phone you back
https://www.dwpe-services.direct.gov.uk/portal/page/portal/jsaol/lp

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear of the job loss, CJ.
It's now a case of getting back on the job hunt, it's seems to be easier to find work if you have been recently employed.
But don't go bottling it all up and fretting about what's to come, if you want work, you will find it.
And don't be keeping secrets from your parents, it's best to be open, they will find out at some point, so it is best that you tell them.
You never know, they maybe aware of a vacancy somewhere and not thinking you were looking for work never mentioned it to you.

Why don't you install solar panels? I've just done mine for £808 and my neighbour, a retired plumber, reckons I could easily charge £3500 for what took me two days.

Why don't you install solar panels? I've just done mine for £808 and my neighbour, a retired plumber, reckons I could easily charge £3500 for what took me two days.

Are you a Joe-90 'baiter' :D

He's already on a crusade to stop RGI's daring to make a profit on plumbing work.

Mr. W.

I'm 29 stone ( although I am losing weight )... would you really want me clambouring about on your tiles / slates? or even in your loft?

this is the reason that I don't go for domestic install jobs..

If I could afford it I'd train up as an HGV driver.. I got the build for it :)

I wanted a job last time, but it still took 18 months to find one..

anyway, already sent out e-mails to all of the local control panel makers and a couple of companies that make heating / air con stuff ( one of the companies that I make panels for at the place I'm at.. :) )

Hello.
Due to a downturn in work volume, I am due to loose my job wiring control panels on the 17th December.
I am writing to you in the hopes that you may have a vacancy or a need for someone, either before, during or after christmas, even if it's only for a few months trial to start with.

I have experience in wiring control panels from the various jobs I've had as a production electrician, although my bias was usually towards the wiring of various machines etc.
I have industrial and comercial installation experience also.

I have attached a copy of my CV which contains more details on the various fields I've worked in.

I thank you for taking the time to read this e-mail even if you are not able to help me at this time.

Yours Sincerely, Dean Worrall.

what do you recon? too verbose? not polite enough? too desperate?

I`ve tidied it a bit ;) Hope you get something

It's lose, not loose. and bin the 'although' It's counteracting on the positive statement that precedes it.

"I have experience in *blah*, although *blah*"

...just sounds a bit negative.

Good luck with the search CJ, and don't get disheartened about signing on, just think of the benefits! :mrgreen:

Oh and ignore all the "I've never even as much had a day off sick since I left school at 14" comments from the usual tw@'s. ;)

have you looked into pat testing a friend of mine has just done his corse and test it took him 2 days and he fell into a job apparently paying 160 a day :eek:

If you can put up with working away, this outfit were recruiting a few weeks ago

PPS Electrical
Sellafield, Seascale, Cumbria, CA20 1PG
01946 721599

Maybe a bit too far to travel Coljack but Bombardier here in Derby are supposedly setting on 15 panel wirers, every week Until Xmas. There are other vacancies too. As you have experience in this field, you may well get a start.
I tried a few months ago and had to sit a literacy and numeracy test. I got 74/75 and was invited back for an interview. The youngish chap (around 25) that was interviewing me, looked at my CV and said " Oh,,, your a joiner by trade, Hmm never mind." I thought then, this isn't going to go too well. Next question,,, "Can you read drawings?" I told him that joiners usually work from drawings on site. He told me that these drawings were rather technical. I pointed out that I have A level Engineering Drawing.! then he points out " Oh, but that was over 30 odd years ago."
After that the interview descended into farce. Obviously joiners are not clever enough to do what he called, "proper engineering."
Never mind though, I have another interview next week directly with Bombardier, instead of the agency they were using for staff selection. ;) ;)

Sorry to hear this Col, and thankfully you had some decent replies/advice.
Can I just suggest that you start the word christmas with a capital C though. Be positive and hopefully something may turn up before Christmas and if not then straight afterwards.
Oh, and tell your parents, even though you are a grown man they will suss it out if you try to keep it from them. Good Luck mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back