Twin socket behind a bookcase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a twin power socket that will soon be covered by a bookcase. I do not want to lose access to the sockets as they are the only ones in the room. I was thinking about plugging two 4-way extension leads (with switchable sockets) into each socket on the wall before putting the bookcase in place. My problem is that the bookcase will now be too far away from the wall.

What are my options here?

Could I replace the twin sockets with a twin fused connection unit? Does a twin fused connection unit even exist? Would it be safe to hard wire an extension lead into a fused connection unit?

As you can probably tell I am a complete novice. I can competently re-wire a plug (woo-hoo!) but I have never tackled anything like this before. I would prefer not to have to move the sockets to another wall. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
An electrically competent person could probably install another twin socket further along the wall spurred off the existing socket.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a twin FCU; a double-gang socket is a bit of a special case as I think it is considered a 20A outlet rather than 2x13A.

You could replace the double-gang box and socket with a single box and FCU as long as it is not in a kitchen or bathroom.

Sponsored Links
I still think my idea of cutting a hole in the back of the bookcase is best for you. If it is a modern one the back will probably only be hardboard.

This wouldn't be an option unfortunately as then a whole shelf on the bookcase would be redundant as you couldn't place books in front of the sockets and the lead on the 4-way extension lead would then come out from the bookcase.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a twin FCU; a double-gang socket is a bit of a special case as I think it is considered a 20A outlet rather than 2x13A.

You could replace the double-gang box and socket with a single box and FCU as long as it is not in a kitchen or bathroom.

I have had a good look around and you are right, I can't find anything remotely like what I was thinking I would need.

The bookcase is just in a bedroom.

You have the option of running a cable on the surface. So maybe only a small hole would be needed by the existing socket to bring the cable to the surface. The new socket can be surface mounted too. It is a trade-off between mess and appearance.

You have the option of running a cable on the surface. So maybe only a small hole would be needed by the existing socket to bring the cable to the surface. The new socket can be surface mounted too. It is a trade-off between mess and appearance.

This sounds infinitely better than ruining the bookcase with a hole :) although still not the perfect solution.

Do things such as "thin" plugs exist? A plug where the grippable bit was only 1cm deep would work also.

hole is your easiest bet a john says it wont stop you using the bookcase as the plugs are likely to be fairly flush with the back even if it sticks out you just select books the correct depth or you box off the area possibly with a false back with just a hole for the cables to come through

Remember that a socket contains screwed cable joints, and so must remain accessible.

canrewireaplug - does the bookcase go all the way to the ceiling?

hole is your easiest bet a john says it wont stop you using the bookcase as the plugs are likely to be fairly flush with the back even if it sticks out you just select books the correct depth or you box off the area possibly with a false back with just a hole for the cables to come through

Cutting a hole in the bookcase is not an option. I don't know why this is so difficult to understand :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back