Twin socket behind a bookcase

Sponsored Links
Remember that a socket contains screwed cable joints, and so must remain accessible.

canrewireaplug - does the bookcase go all the way to the ceiling?

The socket would be accessible if it had to be as you could move the bookcase out of the way (the bookcase is not a built-in unit) but you wouldn't want to move it every time you wanted to flip the switch on the socket. This is why I wanted to use switched 4-way extention leads permanently plugged into the two existing sockets.

The bookcase does go all the way up to the ceiling (and needs to be attached to the wall).

It is an option, but it is not an option you want to take.

I understand that.

What other options do you have that you prefer?

The only option I have ruled out is cutting a hole in the bookcase.

I was envisaging using a twin fused connection unit and hard-wiring two 4-way extension leads to this (rather like how you would add a small heating fan in a bathroom). As I am not an electrician I do not know if this is possible or even sensible but judging from the other comments I have had (and from trying to find one) there is no such thing as a twin fused connection unit.

I would prefer not to have to move the sockets or add new ones elsewhere in the room (due to cost and the mess associated with this) but if this was the only option it would be considered.

It is possible that if thinner plugs were available they could be wired onto 4-way extension leads (even I can do that!) and then the bookcase would be close enough to the wall. But again, I do not know of anywhere that sells thinner plugs (all the ones I have are approximately 2.5cm deep when plugged in and they would need to be half that).

Sponsored Links
Are two plugs really going to make the bookcase stand forward that much more than it would have to anyway?

It's easy to find BS1363 plugs with a body depth of less than an inch. Allowing for the fact that the bottom of the bookcase will probably be a fraction of an inch forward from the face of the existing socket because of the baseboard (and the rear of the case may well be forward of the back edges of the frame), it's probably only going to bring the case forward another half inch or so. And whether sockets or an FCU, you'll need to be able to move the bookcase to access them in the future.

Or is the existing double socket on a surface-mounted box, so it's already protruding significantly from the wall? If so, then the easiest solution might be to convert it to a flush socket, even though it will involve some cutting, chiseling, making good, etc.

OK - there are 2 ways to do this.

1) Properly.

2) Not at all.

Get an electrician to extend the circuit from the existing socket by crimping new lengths of cable on, put a socket somewhere else and replace the old socket with a blanking plate.

Are two plugs really going to make the bookcase stand forward that much more than it would have to anyway?

I didn't think it would but it does.

It's easy to find BS1363 plugs with a body depth of less than an inch. Allowing for the fact that the bottom of the bookcase will probably be a fraction of an inch forward from the face of the existing socket because of the baseboard (and the rear of the case may well be forward of the back edges of the frame), it's probably only going to bring the case forward another half inch or so. And whether sockets or an FCU, you'll need to be able to move the bookcase to access them in the future.

Could you give me a link to somewhere that sells them? I have looked and the thinnest I can find are all about 2.5cm/1inch in depth.

Or is the existing double socket on a surface-mounted box, so it's already protruding significantly from the wall? If so, then the easiest solution might be to convert it to a flush socket, even though it will involve some cutting, chiseling, making good, etc.

The existing box is already protruding from the wall. I guess making it flush to the wall is an option but I've never attempted something like this before. (Off to read more about this in my DIY manual...)

OK - there are 2 ways to do this.

1) Properly.

2) Not at all.

Get an electrician to extend the circuit from the existing socket by crimping new lengths of cable on, put a socket somewhere else and replace the old socket with a blanking plate.

I am posting here to find out what #1) is as I have no idea and hopefully I have made that clear.

#2) is looking like the favoured option at the moment.

I am posting here to find out what #1) is as I have no idea and hopefully I have made that clear.
You seem to have ruled out every option except getting an electrician to extend the circuit from the existing socket by crimping new lengths of cable on, put a socket somewhere else and replace the old socket with a blanking plate....

Remember that a socket contains screwed cable joints, and so must remain accessible.

I think this is the most important issue, that seems likes its being disregarded.

So many times people come here and ask for advice, get told the advice, and just dismiss it.

I think this is the most important issue, that seems likes its being disregarded.

So many times people come here and ask for advice, get told the advice, and just dismiss it.

You are mistaken if this was directed at me, I can assure you it is certainly not being disregarded by me. I am asking for advice, have ruled one thing out (ruining my bookcase by cutting a hole in it) and have made no decisions (again, other than ruining my bookcase by cutting a hole in it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back