Well done, Cameron!

people who have fixed views about football or politics, and are convinced that they are right, often think that anyone who doesn't share their opinion is not impartial, and must be an enemy.

This says more about the person with the fixed views than about the person who disagrees with them. The Tories and the mass media are very anti-BBC.

Can anyone think of a reason why, for example, the Murdoch Press (part of a huge media organisation that includes poor-quality and heavily biased TV, and poor quality and heavily-biased newspapers) might be anti-BBC?

Sponsored Links
I do find it fascinating that in 2015 the public are summonsed to pay for something they might not even want, and held to account about it like a criminal.
Blow me down with a feather! A TV licence dodger that was caught.
Must have been some fine you got to justify the monumental rant.:eek:

TOP TIP: Turn the tele over or turn it off if you don't like what's on.

people who have fixed views about football or politics, and are convinced that they are right, often think that anyone who doesn't share their opinion is not impartial, and must be an enemy.
If they were impartial, you wouldn't know what they thought.

Football IS crap. I've often thought about starting a thread "Why do and how can intelligent people like football?" Should I?

This says more about the person with the fixed views than about the person who disagrees with them. The Tories and the mass media are very anti-BBC.
According to your logic, the BBC must disagree with them - not impartial.

Can anyone think of a reason why, for example, the Murdoch Press (part of a huge media organisation that includes poor-quality and heavily biased TV, and poor quality and heavily-biased newspapers) might be anti-BBC?
Well, anyone looks left-wing compared with them.

Sponsored Links
Does not compute.
willy_nilly.gif

Head in the sand.

I do find it fascinating that in 2015 the public are summonsed to pay for something they might not even want, and held to account about it like a criminal.

I've never paid for a tv license and never been fined, nice try. Most people should educate themselves on the actual threat itself, they would then realise they don't even have to pay.

they also employ bullying tactics by employing people to go around being sh1t and nasty to people on their own doorstep for not having a 'licence'
All part of the 'fine' culture in this country. Sorry, I know I am off topic here but I have recently moved to a new area and received our Electoral Registration papers which explains how important it is to register so that I am able to express my vote in an election, it also helps with financial institutions carrying out checks and helps when applying for a loan etc. Oh, and btw, if I don't send it, I will be fined £80.

As I understand it if you watch a TV, but never watch Auntie Beeb, or if you listen to a radio, but never listen to Auntie Beeeb, you are obliged to purchase a license. I happen to think it is good value overall, however I watch no more than one programme a week on the Beeb, if that, and maybe the same number on other channels. I do though listen to R4 a lot.

So, to summarise your post, if you complain about something, you are automatically wrong, and obviously have fixed views. o_O

or if you listen to a radio, but never listen to Auntie Beeeb, you are obliged to purchase a license.
Radio is free or rather subsidised by those who pay a tv licence for those who don't.

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device."

Interesting wording - I'm sure it used to be "if you can receive programmes" whether you watched them or not.
Now, I presume, you can say you do not. How either side could prove or disprove that, I don't know.

Do Sky and ISPs provide a list of those who have watched or recorded programmes?

Ah yes, you are correct, you can listen to the radio without a TV licence. I am tempted to scrap my TV licence and just watch Have I Got News For You on the iPlayer. I watch TV so rarely as it is poop.

they also employ bullying tactics by employing people to go around being sh1t and nasty to people on their own doorstep for not having a 'licence'
All part of the 'fine' culture in this country. Sorry, I know I am off topic here but I have recently moved to a new area and received our Electoral Registration papers which explains how important it is to register so that I am able to express my vote in an election, it also helps with financial institutions carrying out checks and helps when applying for a loan etc. Oh, and btw, if I don't send it, I will be fined £80.

I used to worry about this myself but it's not mandatory and you will never be fined for not filling it out, if you fill it out incorrectly they can fine you for misinformation, that's why they get you to sign that declaration box.

What I found from not registering was that it ramraided my credit rating. I didn't register when I moved house, and a utility company (without notifying me) carried out a credit check because I wanted a quarterly billing arrangement, it came back as a fail. That check screwed the rating further as failed checks show on the rating, or so I'm told. Luckily I don't need credit, but if I did, I'd imagine it would be essential to be registered.

or if you listen to a radio, but never listen to Auntie Beeeb, you are obliged to purchase a license.
Radio is free or rather subsidised by those who pay a tv licence for those who don't.

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record programmes as they're being shown on TV or live on an online TV service. This is the case whether you use a TV, computer, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or any other device."

Interesting wording - I'm sure it used to be "if you can receive programmes" whether you watched them or not.
Now, I presume, you can say you do not. How either side could prove or disprove that, I don't know.

Do Sky and ISPs provide a list of those who have watched or recorded programmes?

TVL is a private company, Sky and other ISPs can't share any information with them for data protection reasons. They would be breaking the law. In fact I'm not sure they can record what websites customers visit, I'm sure that's illegal as well.

Interestingly, when you buy a televison it's a requirement within the communications act for the retailer to pass that information onto TVL. Try walking into a shop and buying a televison with cash, and refusing to give a name and address, it's not pleasant, but it's easy to bypass by giving false information, and really it proves nothing. Likewise, to be prosecuted you have to allow a TVL goon into your property and then sign an admission of guilt form in order for them to take you to court, again easily byppassed, refuse to have any communication with them, which is what I do. The tv detection equipment/vans never have existed by the way, it's a boogey man story for adults that's worked successfully for decades. Interesting information I've picked up over the years :D

I've never paid for a tv license and never been fined, nice try. Most people should educate themselves on the actual threat itself, they would then realise they don't even have to pay.
Why do you watch a TV channel that you despise so much and refuse to pay for?

Hang on.....are you that bloke that refuses to have home insurance.....(alarm bells)....?

I think John D has hit the nail. Grade A ranter.

Sponsored Links
Back