When considering in or out:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
No, the Comission is. The Council is the heads of state.
IN WHAT WAY DOES THE EU CONSTRAIN OUR MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL IN WHO, OR HOW, HE OR SHE CHOOSES AS OUR REPRESENTATIVE ON THE COMMISSION?

But our ministers are part of a genuine elected legislature, scrutinised by the people and the press much like an MP, and by the shadow cabinet of course. By contrast, once the Comissioner has been selected by the PM he's more or less untouchable.
The Commission has a 5-year term, just like the European Parliament (and on the same cycle, so that when the EP is elected the Commission changes).

Not that you know what he's up to. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
IN WHAT WAY DOES THE EU CONSTRAIN THE PRESS, OR THE PEOPLE, FROM SCRUTINISING THE ACTIVITIES OF THE COMMISSION?

So no, it does not work exactly the same at all.
I don't suppose that the way the national governments of all the member states "work" is the same as each other, either.

But the way it works really is very similar to the way ours works - it's just that you either don't know, or don't want to know, that.

The EU is like giving the Lords the power of the Commons, and vice versa.
Will you please tell me who elected the Lord Privy Seal as a Cabinet Minister?

Will you please tell me who elected the Commercial Secretary to the Treasury as a Minister of State?

Will you please tell me who elected the Minister of State for the Home Office to her position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Internet Safety and Security to her position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Minister of State for the Commonwealth and the UN at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office to her position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Minister of State for Defence to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Minister of State for Trade Policy to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Health to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Department for Work & Pensions to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Transport to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Faith and Integration to his position in the Department for Communities and Local Government?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretaries of State for Scotland, for Wales and for Northern Ireland to their positions?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Rural Affairs and Biosecurity to his position?

Will you please tell me who elected the The Rt Hon Lord Bates to his position as Minister of State for International Development?

Will you please tell me who elected the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Culture, Media & Sport to his position?

And for each of them, will you please tell me how I can scrutinise what they do, and arrange to have them replaced if I find I don't like it?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It doesn't. Why, do you think maybe it does?

I don't. I was asking you that question because you seem to think that the choice of European Commissioners is imposed by the EU.

Same as here - if you don't like what your MP is doing, or not doing, to hold the Government to account, you complain to him or her. Ditto, therefore, your MEP.

Do you follow closely the reporting of the Committee stages of UK bills?

Are you are happy with the number of Statutory Instruments drawn up by unelected and unaccountable Whitehall bureaucrats, nodded through by ministers who were not elected to their position and not scrutinised by Parliament?

Do you think that the Legislative and Regulatory Reform Act and "skeleton Bills" are shining examples of democratic accountability?

Not much, any more.

But it does expose the depths of ignorance and prejudice prevalent in the ******* who voted to leave.
Actually, you are demonstating your own ignorance as one who pretends to know how the EU works... But you don't really do you? I would make the effort to correct your ignorance but you would only argue, your typing would get larger and your blood pressure would go through the roof... The main reason for my not bothering with your tedious and erronious assertions are simple... As Mitch has so rightly stated, it doesn't matter any more, there is nothing that you can do other than vent....You do need to take a chill pill.... Do you remember Stressed Eric?

As Mitch has so rightly stated, it doesn't matter any more, there is nothing that you can do
There may be nothing anyone can do - but it does matter. It matters a great deal.

It may also concern quitters that they won't get what they thought they voted for. Not even close. I hope you find those pills sweet.(y)

There may be nothing anyone can do - but it does matter. It matters a great deal.

It may also concern quitters that they won't get what they thought they voted for. Not even close. I hope you find those pills sweet.(y)
So you know what I voted for? What might I not get?

Your quite right, it does matter what happens. I kind of meant that different arguments now won't change the result.

I wonder at the assertions of the brexiters, as in Condell's video, that not all of them are thick morons who didn't know what they were voting for.

Obviously not ALL are, but it is stretching the imagination too far to assume that those of the general public that we come across in daily life - you know the ones - who can hardly string two words together are somehow experts on the European Union and clairvoyant in knowing what nobody else does. That is, the future one way or the either.

EU probably the most corrupt organisation in the world. Run by un-elcted pencil pushers & paper shufflers with there snouts in the trough .

most of the Eu is made up of X commie states , military juntas , facist regimes , dictarships who have suddenly discovered democracy in the last 30 or 40 years :LOL:

Italy probably the most corrupt country in western europe mafia with thee snouts in every thing

greece were tax avoidance is or was a national past time. one of the reasons they are in the s**t

The French who have been fiddeling the common farmin policy for decades , they wrote the rules.
What constitutes a French Farm in France , would be classified as an alotment in the UK or a big garden :)
They get a free tractor as well , which they use to take the family out in :)

malta ?? what are they for any way ?? :)

Apart from the UK the only other country in the EU that amount to a bag of beans is Austria ;):)

The rest can pretty much come under the heading of dead beats , no hopers & spongers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back