£100 I want to save

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give advice please. I'm looking to buy a laptop but to have Office installed is a £100 option. I have got Office on my home PC, is there a way to copy it across?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Use the original CD(s) that it came on ;) If you haven't got the original media, then if you supply MS with the licence key, you can get a copy. If you have neither, then you have a pirate copy. The short answer in that case being no, you can't.

Assuming it is Microsoft Office, if your home PC came pre-loaded with Microsoft Office then the licence may be non-transferable (OEM licence), so no you can't use it on your new laptop. If you have a retail copy of Microsoft Office (the give away is generally a nice box and some instructions) then you are permitted to install it on another device so just use you serial number with your existing media.

My advice would be to ditch Office completely and use a better, free, open-source variant. Many people have now ditched Microsoft's internet explorer in favour of Firefox, and I have done the same with Office.

http://www.openoffice.org/ is free, has more features than microsoft, but very very importantly is completely compatible. I.E. you can use it at home, save your documents in Word format and continue working on them in MS Office at work. Naturally, it also opens, edits and saves Excel spreadsheets and Powerpoint presentations.

Sponsored Links
I agree, Open Office is a brilliant bit of kit, especially considering the price :D

Anyway, I just bought this months copy of Personal Computer World, and on the coverdisk is a full version of Laplink PCmover. Now, i've not had a chance to use it as yet, but if claims to be able to move both settings and programs from one PC to another. I have used similar products, with varying degrees of success. Might be worth a go if you really want the MS version, but take a restore point :D

Roofer said:
Can anyone give advice please. I'm looking to buy a laptop but to have Office installed is a £100 option. I have got Office on my home PC, is there a way to copy it across?

Any help would be appreciated.

Laptop might be different. Are you buying it with s/w installed? I usually build my own, and a trick to carry applications from the old to the new m/c, is to fit the old disk in the new m/c, or do a disk copy. When you power it up the m/c will notice with surprise that its configuraon has changed since it went to sleep, but it will probably tidy itself up.

... and totally negate the point of building a new computer. This doesn't relate to the original question, but if you do that you'll end up with a chuggy old Windows installation that has all the detritus associated with changing your hardware configuration completely... oh yeh, and if you have Windows XP home it won't work

Sponsored Links
Back