£120 for uPVC fitting materials?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's just been bugging me since my builder said it would be roughly £120 for materials/fixings to fit a uPVC door.

I'm having a window 1050mm wide replaced with a door of the same width and I have been quoted £300 for the job plus materials that he has estimated at £120.
However, to me £120 sounds a bit too much, although he did say he will provide the receipts. From memory, he has mentioned hammer fixings, 1" and 2" pvc D trims (6-pack of each) and 6x silicone.

Am I right to think it's a little over the top?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
An "estimate" of about £120 seems OTT, try to get a fixed quote or you might find the "extras" continue to rise.

But overall if it includes enlarging the window opening to take the door it's a reasonable price IMO.

Blup

An "estimate" of about £120 seems OTT, try to get a fixed quote or you might find the "extras" continue to rise.

But overall if it includes enlarging the window opening to take the door it's a reasonable price IMO.

Blup
Thanks for the reply. I've opted to buy the materials myself.

Existing window opening just needs to be taken down to floor level to accommodate new door.

just needs to be taken down to floor level to accommodate new door.

Just ! Bricks to be cut, possibly mortar patching up needed too and plaster internally.
Wedges to the sides and base of the frame. Mortar fir the threshold. When you say 'just' I think your not appreciating the amount t of materials actually needed and the work involved.

It's very very suprising how they mount up ! There might even be petrol for his sthil saw !

Sponsored Links
Just ! Bricks to be cut, possibly mortar patching up needed too and plaster internally.
Wedges to the sides and base of the frame. Mortar fir the threshold. When you say 'just' I think your not appreciating the amount t of materials actually needed and the work involved.

It's very very suprising how they mount up ! There might even be petrol for his sthil saw !
I used 'just' in response to the post above about whether enlarging the opening was necessary. The response would be read as, no it does not need widened 'just' downwards. In no way does that belittle the job required as you suggest.

No petrol required 'just' my electricity for his grinder, internals finished by myself and no threshold to do.

£120 over the top ? Nah !

Tell him you'll buy every single thing he needs down to the last screw, he isnt to use anything of his stock ......no packers, nothing see how far £120 goes and you'll do all the running around for the bits that are needed.

Back