£180 for spark plug change ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, its a fact.....Nissan Qashqai, 13 plate 1.6
I know the inlet manifold has to come off, and the plugs are laser platinum.....but still :eek:
Can’t wait to get stuck in to that one!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I fitted a SINGLE sparkplug that cost £42 once (can't remember the bike, think it was a Honda CRF250?).

Some bikes I work on can be 1/2 a days labour getting to them, stupid when its a service item..

For sure, the CRF machines are formidable, I’m scared stiff of the 450cc model - as well as needing a pair of steps to get on!

The 250's have Titanium Valves, lost count of the number of Steel Valve conversions I've done (basically the coating wears off the titanium valve and it wears out).

New valves and (stiffer) springs and they'll go forever. Never seen valve wear like it, they are razor sharp!.

Inlet manifold off to change the plugs, WTF are they designing these days ?
Could be an argument for going all electric (I can't believe I just said that :notworthy:)

For sure, its fairly common these days......Mini, Citroen, BMW and so on.
The air intake / throttle body is at the back of the engine, and the plastic inlet manifold curves over the top of the engine and connects to the cylinder head.
It usually takes me an hour but you have to be so careful not to crack the manifold.....evenly tightening up is essential!
Just to add to the misery, you also need a very deep drive socket, about 300mm long with a 14mm hexagon....it needs to be magnetic too or the plugs will never come out :eek:
Compensation wise, replacement is every 35 k or 5 years!

Inlet manifold off to change the plugs, WTF are they designing these days ?
Could be an argument for going all electric (I can't believe I just said that :notworthy:)

You want to try working on some motorcycles, 1/2 a day for a plug change on some (madness really), they try and tie it in with valve clearances (cams out to swap shims) so that's a full day gone!.

Yep, that will be my VFR :eek:

With the VTEC VFR 800's you have to take cams out and fit VTEC stoppers before you can even measure a valve clearance, makes job 4 times as difficult..

I get on well with workshop manager of a Honda dealer and he said he used to take the day off if one of those came in for valve service!.

This is a usual job on my bench, started taking pictures for customers of major service work and they all appreciate it (got plenty of jobs from there friends as well!).

20190525_163925.jpg
20191127_155146.jpg
20190912_154133.jpg
20190710_143543.jpg

I believe the valve check interval for the VFR is around 24k - I doubt if I'll have it by then. I bet there's a good few second hand ones with 20k up for sale :whistle:
Lets see if the new E10 fuel is as good as E5 - foreigners I have spoken to reckon it goes off quickly and makes the engine a devil to start.

Sponsored Links
Back