0 rings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.... i'm struggling to find an O ring for my washbasin mixer tap. The model i have is obsolete. Is there any other method or substitute i can use to replace the O ring.
cheers
mickcoulson
p.s i have bought 2 packs of various sizes but to no avail.

Sponsored Links
I refer to the thankless task we as professionals have trying to find obscure bits in order to fix something for a customer who's trying to save money. Not realising that we're wasting hours that need to be paid for somewhere.

Often it is just easier to view the bullet.

Another classic is "its only a quick job. You can do it when you next pass by".

I guess I'm saying to you that if you've wasted more than a couple of hours on this it's time to move on and get new ones.

Sponsored Links
hi.... i'm struggling to find an O ring for my washbasin mixer tap. The model i have is obsolete. Is there any other method or substitute i can use to replace the O ring.
cheers
mickcoulson
Measure the ring diameter and the "wire" diameter, to take to the shop, or the old O-ring if it hasn't disintegrated. You might get one at a local hardware shop/ironmonger.

If it’s obsolete it is probably time to replace the taps :D

Jokes aside I had a similar problem and bought a set like mentioned above but not from eBay I got from Screwfix like 400-500 rings in the box should come in handy for lots of stuff.

Find a bearing supplier for some reason they also seem to have O rings.
IE Bearing Trader's.

If it's not a branded tap that has a good supply of suitable replacements parts that rarely go obsolete, then quite honestly it doesn't owe you anything and it's time to replace it IMO.

cheers
mickcoulson
Did you manage to source this? If not, I came across a bill from a firm in Stoke-on-Trent who do them made to measure. Mine was about 70mm dia x 1.5mm thick, cost £1.20 (in 2009). They might put one in an envelope for you. If you're interested I'll post details.

Just measure the internal diameter, then the thickness. Then look for I.D. x thickness. Then source cheaply on Ebay, something like nitrile o ring will do. Loads of guides on Youtube on how to measure o rings.

Used to make our own when using loads (pump repair workshop), super glue and a steady hand mind you.

I've used a roll of O ring material before and superglue as well, sure you could by it in kits?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back