O-rings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long time, no DIY.

Anyway, my bath mixer tap/shower fitting has been dripping. I dismantled it and found that one of the o-rings on the nylon valve spindle (for want of a better term) had split. Replace the o-ring, 5 minute job.

First problem, find a replacement o-ring of the correct size!. All the ones I've found to date are the right diameter but are too thin. The existing o-ring is about 3/4 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. All the ones I've found are 3/32 inch.

Anybody know where I can get this type of o-ring?

One supplier sold me some o-ring cord which turns out to be 3mm - so slightly too big but may do the job. Apparently you can make the o-ring by cutting it to length and using Super Glue to join it. However, I've had no joy in being able to get a clean cut (i.e. a smooth face).

So, alternatively, can anyone tell me how to cut o-ring cord so I can make a satisfactory splice?

Till then I've fitted the smaller o-ring which has cut down the amount of water coming out the shower when the taps are on to a mere trickle, but the wife is not impressed and neither am I.

Sponsored Links
You could go the expensive route and buy a Loctite O-ring Splicing Kit. Useful for all your friends requirements too. Or try modellers supplies for a minature saw cutting jig (mitre box thingy). You need a fresh knife, and scapel blades are best IMO. You could make your own jig. It does work, but you really need the correct superglue, they're not all the same.

Thanks for that. I think I'll have a go at making a mitre arrangement for it (before going for the Loctite solution!)

you really need the correct superglue

You mean I've probably bought the wrong one?!? I've got the bog standard glue that sticks rubber amongst other things.

IanDB said:
Thanks for that. I think I'll have a go at making a mitre arrangement for it (before going for the Loctite solution!)

Only needs to do 90 deg cuts thiugh.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't an accurate splice be made by cutting a length of cord longer than required for the o-ring, forming this into a circle to the size required by having an overlap (side by side), then cutting through both pieces forming the overlap. The ends would then be replicated as the cut in each follows the same line.

They might follow the same line when they're next to each other, but when you put the ends together, it's not the same line.

RS sell a kit in their catalogue - but the cost!!!!
Why don't you get the right thing from the shower maker?

oilman said:
They might follow the same line when they're next to each other, but when you put the ends together, it's not the same line.

How would it not be?

Why don't you get the right thing from the shower maker?

I don't know who it is. The shower tap is 8 years old and I think it was supplied from Jewsons. Unfortunately I don't have one locally. This is an option but I just thought (naively) that these would be a standard size.

Are you sure that the 'O' ring isn't a standard size that has just swollen and expanded as it failed? I'm guessing it might be.

joe

Yes, positive. If the standard O-ring was the right size then it wouldn't be leaking now!

O-ring you can use grafite. It comes in string form and you can wrap it around to get a snug fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back