What sits under the 'O' ring on Pegler bathroom taps?

K

Klaus_K

Hi, I am in the process of replacing the 'O' rings on my bathroom taps. I've removed the tap heads and the retaining nut that sits above the 'O' ring. I have also removed some PTFE tape that I had used as a temporary fix in the past. However, underneath this is a black ring of some kind, that I'm having real trouble removing :(

The reason I need to remove it is that when I try to put a new O ring in, there isn't enough thread visible for me to be able to screw in the retaining nut. This makes me suspect that the black is the old O ring, compressed down after years of use.

Can anybody confirm if this an old rubber 'O' ring, that I can safely rip out (destroying in the process) or is this an important part of the tap that I mustn't damage. I hope it's not the latter, since I've already done quite a bit of damage to it :oops:

If I do need to remove it, can anybody suggest the easiest way of doing it? I've tried attacking it with the point of a bradawl, and a small screwdriver, but with not much impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
To replace the spindle o ring, the valve has to be removed from the tap and dismantled.

To replace the spindle o ring, the valve has to be removed from the tap and dismantled.

Hi Terry, could you give a bit more detail please? Am I likely to have done any serious damage by attempting to remove it from above?

Sponsored Links
tap.jpg Here is a photo of the tap. I have dismantled it, as if I was going to change the washer. Once I've done this, I can completely remove the central 'rod' by screwing it down (as if I was closing the tap). Once I've done this, I can pull the rod out and look at the insides. It looks as if the O ring might be in the middle, under a plastic tube, which is pushed down when I tighten the retaining nut on the top. However, I can't seem to remove that plastic tube - and I don't think it's just because of the damage I might have done - it just seems firmly wedged into the top bit.

Update: I have managed to prise out the plastic tube bit, and it seems to be just that - a rigid plastic tube, with no O ring. I've tried putting an O ring in place underneath the tube, when viewed from above, but then the retaining nut only just fits in and the is quite hard to turn. I'm thinking I could just dispense with the tube bit and put a rubber O ring in its place. Be interested in your views Terry.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the end, I went ahead and prised out the black plastic tubing and put a couple of O rings in its place. Seems to work OK-ish, but it's a bit tight to turn the tap. I've now gone ahead and ordered some plastic tubing, to see if I can cut this down into some short lengths, to replace the plastic tube that used to be there. Ideally, I want just one O ring, then a bit of plastic tubing, and then the retaining nut. I figure a single O ring ought to provide a good enough seal against water coming up the spindle, without making the tap too hard to turn.

is it really worth all the messing about ffs , think how much taps are compared to how much time you have spent fooking about mending it . op taps don't cost that much ,i would advise to have a look just in case you haven't (y) . if you need advice on installing taps someone on here will surely give advice(y)

Thank you for your kind words of support gentlemen :D. To be honest, I really enjoy this kind of thing - I don't get paid for doing it, and it's not as if I have to do it full time. I'd have no problem replacing the taps but I don't think I'd be able to find an exact match. I wanted to know how to do it, and I'm pretty close to a solution. If it pains you to read me wittering on, then just don't read. I'm the kind of person who takes apart a yale cylinder, just to find out how it works - and those buggers are really hard to put back together.

is it really worth all the messing about ffs , think how much taps are compared to how much time you have spent fooking about mending it . op taps don't cost that much ,i would advise to have a look just in case you haven't (y) . if you need advice on installing taps someone on here will surely give advice(y)

My time is my own - and free. This is what I do to enjoy myself.

well if you enjoy it then fair play(y)

Thanks - rest assured, if I didn't, then I wouldn't do it! I've loved taking things apart and putting them back together, ever since I was a kid, and I'm well away from those years. There's always a couple of bits left over at the end though :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back