04 Megane 1.4 Rush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This car has done only 12000 miles , ive had it 9months and in that time have had to had the coil changed twice and now im having problems with starting the car.
When the key card is put in the slot you are supposed to press either the clutch or brake to start the car....Since the weekend the car wont start when the clutch is pressed but only on the brake.Plus the car cuts out a lot when idling...can someone please advise??
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Surely at the age of the car, the best advice is to take it back to the dealer. Tell them you don't want the car back until it's working properly. If they can't give a time scale as to how long this will take, demand a courtesy car. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer contact Renault UK. Make sure you keep a copy of any job sheets which they ask you to sign for, as the car is still under warranty. These will come in handy if you have to contact Renault yourself.

i bought the Megane 2nd hand , not from a renault dealer and so only had a 3 month warranty....the 2nd coil cost me £125.
Im wondering if the starting problem (clutch) is common and is it expensive?
If i had the money i would ditch the car now...this is my 1st Renault and im very unimpressed especially as i also have a 1998 Honda Civic and havent had a moments trouble with it in 2.5 years.

So if anyone can advise on my current problem,id really appreciate it.

Thanks

The loss of it not starting on the clutch is a common problem on these and is due to the wire from the clutch pedal working loose and is not connected to your running problem m8

Sponsored Links
Sorry about my first post I assumed with the low mileage it was still in warranty. Maybe a diagnostics check would throw up something with the idling problem. Could be a faulty sensor or engine management fault. Or maybe a burst air hose on the injector. Difficult to say for sure.

When it cuts out its probably due to the crank sensor connector making poor contact, need to get it diagnosed with a Renault Diag machine (Clip).

Not starting on the clutch is sooooo common on them, repaired many Megane`s during my time @ Renault with this fault, due to very poor design the clutch switch is attached to the arm of the pedal and not the frame work of the pedal box, this means that the wire that is connected to the switch is always moving, this means its just a matter of time before it snaps! Get your head down to the foot well, press the clutch pedal with your hand and check out the wires to the switch, there will be a broken 1 or maybe both!

Back