1.5 bowl kitchen sink. Is this doable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a 1000mm straight corner sink kitchen unit to fit my kitchen plan. The door on this unit is 500mm and the worktops will be 600mm and joining at the centre corner of the unit.

Is it possible to fit a standard sink to this corner with 600mm bowl to bowl measurements or will I need a smaller sink. If so, does anyone know of a smaller 1.5 bowl sink?

I’ve attached a pic to help explain.
343395C6-7475-4A78-9A26-96B03EADE018.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Plumbing is not a problem, units can be cut/modified to allow space for pipes etc.

The real problems are that placing a sink in a corner will make it unusable - and how do you intend to join the worktops in the corner with a sink in the way?

Plumbing is not a problem, units can be cut/modified to allow space for pipes etc.

The real problems are that placing a sink in a corner will make it unusable - and how do you intend to join the worktops in the corner with a sink in the way?

Sorry. I don’t think I explained clearly.

The red highlighted area is the unit. I’ve added another pic to show the sink.

I mean can the sink bowl overlap 100mm or so beyond the inner corner of the unit?

EF451BF6-9850-4C01-A63D-37A9197E42AF.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Won't it still interfere with the worktop joint?

The sink won’t overlap the joint as the length of worktop the sink is going on will be wall to wall.

I just wondered if the 100mm (max) of cutout for the bowl would be too close to the edge of the worktop and prevent it from joining the other one with bolts.

It will be in the way of at least one bolt.
If the sink edge extends beyond the corner post, the section of worktop between the sink cutout and the joint will be very thin, unsupported and it's almost inevitable that it will break.
It's also a poor design to place a sink right next a joint, as the water will get in and cause it to fail.
Ovens right against a wall isn't exactly ideal either.
A redesign is required.

It will be in the way of at least one bolt.
If the sink edge extends beyond the corner post, the section of worktop between the sink cutout and the joint will be very thin, unsupported and it's almost inevitable that it will break.
It's also a poor design to place a sink right next a joint, as the water will get in and cause it to fail.
Ovens right against a wall isn't exactly ideal either.
A redesign is required.

I see your point with the sink and I’m condsidering a smaller sink to fit.

But what’s the issue with the oven against the wall?

Last edited:
I’m not worried about that. Access will be fine.

If that's the design as you want it then you can make it work. Worktops and units can be fabricated as you wish, as long as the fascias are unblemished and you're aware there may be a weak spot below.
Use biscuits with plenty of waterproof pva adhesive on the joint, as well as bolts, then, when you come to recess the sink just grind off minimum amounts of bolt that may be in the way. Support the worktop underneath with various battens where the carcasses have been cut away... As long as its all supported sufficiently and the joint is well made with colourfill, you'll be fine.

Edit: assume you're Mason mitre-ing the joints and not butt joining them with strips?

If that's the design as you want it then you can make it work. Worktops and units can be fabricated as you wish, as long as the fascias are unblemished and you're aware there may be a weak spot below.
Use biscuits with plenty of waterproof pva adhesive on the joint, as well as bolts, then, when you come to recess the sink just grind off minimum amounts of bolt that may be in the way. Support the worktop underneath with various battens where the carcasses have been cut away... As long as its all supported sufficiently and the joint is well made with colourfill, you'll be fine.

Edit: assume you're Mason mitre-ing the joints and not butt joining them with strips?

Thanks. Yeah it will masons mitred. I’m considering just going for a smaller sink to save any potential issues. It’s just the sink the wife really wanted is 495x995 so will definitely overlap slightly.

Women!!

Thanks. Yeah it will masons mitred. I’m considering just going for a smaller sink to save any potential issues. It’s just the sink the wife really wanted is 495x995 so will definitely overlap slightly.

Women!!

Adapt & overcome :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back