1.5mm cable as a spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone please tell me whether using 1.5mm cable as a spur to a double wall socket in lounge is safe / legal / acceptable.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
2.5 should be used.

Has the cable already been installed?

If so and the 1.5 cannot be replaced you could fit a 13 amp fused spur before the 1.5. Feed the fused spur with 2.5.

Could anyone please tell me whether using 1.5mm cable as a spur to a double wall socket in lounge is safe / legal / acceptable.

Many thanks in advance

There is no problem in running a cable to a single or double wall socket.

However, where are you running it from?
I will assume it is another socket.

Is it part of a radial circuit? if so what size cable is currently being used - and what size fuse/mcb is protecting that circuit. It should be 2.5mm for a 20a MCB and 4.0mm for a 32a MCB and historically limited to a floor area of 50m2 and 75m2 respectively. The cable size should therefore be 2.5mm or 4mm.

If it is part of a ring with 2.5mm cable and this is the first spur from that ring then you should use the same size cable unless you go through a Fused connection unit (correctly rated) in which case you can use 1.5mm.

Oh I forgot to mention that if the new cable is buried less than 50mm from the surface then you will either need to provide earthed mechanical protection or an RCD

See Appendix 15 from BS7671 (17th edition)

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for all quick responses.

Sorry I will explain further.

I am a plasterer and had to remove a few sockets to re plaster a lounge and one of the sockets that has been used to supply tele etc, was in 1.5mm cable being fed (from what I could tell) from the only other socket in the room!

I don't want to replace it if it is dangerous.

Hi thanks for all quick responses.

Sorry I will explain further.

I am a plasterer and had to remove a few sockets to re plaster a lounge and one of the sockets that has been used to supply tele etc, was in 1.5mm cable being fed (from what I could tell) from the only other socket in the room!

I don't want to replace it if it is dangerous.

I can only reiterate what I said before - the current regulations essentially say that 1.5mm t&e cable can only be used on a Final Ring/Radial circuit if the spur is joined to that circuit via a FCU.

If there is no FCU in between the two sockets then it fails to conform with the regulations - whether it is dangerous is open to a wider debate.

It may be time to call in an electrician to give the homeowner some advise.

Thanks again.

I might get some more work out of this after the sparks has been and condemned all the old wiring!!

MODERATOR - please note this is in the UK!!!

I'm not from these parts but I live and work in the UK.

I might well ask you the same question, BAS, as you've stated your location as 'London' - but I won't.

Even though I know darn well that you're from the outreaches of the "Second City".

Lucia.

Perhaps you've relocated to London in recent years, BAS? I've lost contact with you recently - so it's quite possible. I suppose.

That being the case, you'd be most welcome to call in at my at my N1 address, for a cup of tea and a good old gossip......

Lucia x

Oh well, never mind......

"Many are called - but few get up".

Lucia.

OK, if you say so, BAS dear. I can't dispute your claim to your birthplace -so I won't. But I still have doubts about your recent residency here: 30-odd years......

'Odd years' indeed.........

"Come up and see me sometime"

Lucia x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back