1 double switch for 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a straightforward single light in the loft, which is a single switch connected to one light.

I've just fitted an external security light and have brought the cable into the loft and am trying to connect it to this switch.

I therefore have 3 cables coming into this switch.
1. The power cable (1 red, 1 black, 1 earth)
2. Cable from loft light (1 red, 1 black, 1 earth)
3. External security light (1 red, 1 black, 1 earth)

To connect it all up and have two independent switches I bought a double switch, which has two rows of connectors
Row 1 - L1, COM, L2
Row 2 - L1, COM, L2

But after literally hours of trial and error I am unable to get it to work properly.
I've also spent a bit of time searching this forum but have ben unable to find clear instructions on what wires should go where.

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
cheers
Tube.

Sponsored Links
thanks
I did go through this section before posting but couldn't find the answer.

I looked again just there and although it mentions 2 way switching I can't see my specific question answered.

so any help gratefully received.
cheers!

Tube,

I'm no expert, but I understand L2 is for 2 way operation (as in lights operated from top and bottom of stairs), which I don't think you want from your description, so you don't need to wire into this.

This only leaves two connectors for each switch - L1 and COM, and the live is usally wired to COM. The earth cables should be earthed.

Given the dangers of electricity, please consult someone qualified if in doubt.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that

I want a double switch, but need both switches/lights to work independently.
Might it be that I have just bought thw wrong type of switch ?

cheers!

Tube said:
thanks for that

I want a double switch, but need both switches/lights to work independently.
Which is not the same as 2-way switching, so that's probably why looking at those diagrams didn't help.

Might it be that I have just bought thw wrong type of switch ?
Insofar as you didn't need a 2-way, yes, but in terms of being able to use if for what you want, no - you can always use 2-way switches in 1-way configurations.

First question - ignoring the new switch and the new light cable for now, how is the existing 1-gang switch and single loft light wired up?

thanks again.....

It was a single switch, one switch one light.
The switch itself only has two connections, one marked common, the other not marked.

I didn't think this would be problematic so must confess I didn't take a note of the original wiring configuration. But would assume the lives went in the common.

cheers!

Tube said:
It was a single switch, one switch one light.
The switch itself only has two connections, one marked common, the other not marked.

I didn't think this would be problematic so must confess I didn't take a note of the original wiring configuration. But would assume the lives went in the common.
Breezer will slap your legs for that...

In your original question you said:
I therefore have 3 cables coming into this switch.
1. The power cable (1 red, 1 black, 1 earth)
2. Cable from loft light (1 red, 1 black, 1 earth)
3. External security light (1 red, 1 black, 1 earth)

Which must mean that before you added the external light you had 2 cables going to the switch. Since light switches are single-pole, this would only work if the live was switched and the neutrals wre joined, hopefully with a bit of choc-block.

Is this what you had?

temp.jpg

Give that a go........earths ommitted on drawing, but connect to earth temrinal in switch.

ban-all-sheds
yes thats correct,
the lives were switched and the neutrals connected directly.

Lectrician
thanks for that, I've not tried that config so will give it a go and let you know.

thanks for the help
cheers!

No offence, Tube, but this is a lesson to everyone to

WRITE IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always make a note of which colour wires go where - you can always use coloured tape (or white tape with writing) to label the conductors. If you're really afraid, take a piccy then you can see EXACTLY how it was before disconnection.

Oh, and if any wires going to the live of a light fitting or switch terminal are any colour other than red (or brown for new harmonised cable), mark them appropriately!

And one more thing! Rant!

Make sure your bare copper earths are sleeved with green/yellow, too.

all sorted.
used the diagram above and it works a treat.
:D

So thanks to all involved, particularly Lectrician for taking the time to do a diagram.

cheers !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back