1 Gang electrical socket to 2 Gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can one Gang electrical socket be changed with a 2 Gang socket? All sockets of the house are on one trip switch (if that makes any difference)

It is in a house I have bought and by the looks of it, it was recently re-wired (New trip fuse box and cables seem new)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Just wondering would both sockets be able to handle high load. For example, 4 Gang extension leads on each socket. (I'm not planning on doing this, I'm just wondering if it will be safe to do so?)

Sponsored Links
It should be okay, as the fuses in the extension lead and in the plug tops will protect the equipment and flexes from over load as will the trip on the MCB.
But is this a case of needing more outlets? if it is, have you consider installing some more?

It’s just that their is only one single socket in the room. I think one double will be enough. I mentioned 2 (4 gang) extensions as an extreme case. But on average, I don't think more than 4 devices to be plugged into the sockets.

It’s just that their is only one single socket in the room. I think one double will be enough. I mentioned 2 (4 gang) extensions as an extreme case. But on average, I don't think more than 4 devices to be plugged into the sockets.

What sort of devices?

If you mean computers, tellies, table lamps, etc, then there will not be a problem with any likely quantities you could encounter in a normal house (at least as far as load is concerned - there may be a problem with having too many computers on one RCD trip switch)

If you mean room heaters, water heaters, kitchen or laundry appliances, or you are doing hairdressing at home with multiple blow driers on simultaneously, then these are not suitable to be supplied from multiway extension leads or multiple socket conversions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back