1 inch bath taps to 22mm copper

Just had my calipers measuring... 1 inch outside diameter, including threads, 3/4in inside diameter. Is that a 1 inch?

Hello Fet

Some Old taps may have come in inch but new bath taps now come 3/4...
If you have 22mm copper then sizing will not be your problem. Just connecting the two I think is your issue.. You can use push fit flexys but be sure tube clean the pipe and make sure its smooth

Sponsored Links
precise outside thread size is 1.025 inches. Judging by this article https://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Files/Pipe-sizes-threads.pdf it may be that a 3/4 inch connector will fit. Is that right?
Also if its in a real swine of a tight spot is it possible/practical to use two connectors to give yourself more length?

It stands a chance. I'd get a few different sizes and just try them, they're not super expensive anyway.

It's possible but the more joints you have the greater chance of a leak you introduce.

If it's awkward I bring tail pipe down to where it's easier to make the final connection rather than try to work up to the tap if you understand.

There are people who say that IS units are sensible, and old Imperial measurements are confusing.

Thread sizes in BSP bear no close relationship to their real sizes.

Quite likely the nuts you need will be called 3/4" BSP and were intended, long ago, to be used with steel pipes of 3/4" Internal Diameter. Their diameter, in that case, would be 1.041 inch (26.441mm)

https://www.valvesonline.com.au/references/threads/

Modern metric pipes are described by their external diameter, so 15mm is nearly the same as half inch, for example. Spanner sizes can be even more ridiculous if you are not old enough to have been brought up with them.

Quarter-inch spanner
whitworth-jpg.143960

Half-inch spanner
unfhalfinch-jpg.143959

There are only three countries in the world still using the old measurements. They are all rather primitive.

For goodness' sake, they may measure 1 inch but that's not what they are called.

First reply:
What you have is standard bath taps, 3/4" BSP which measures 26.4mm O.D.

upload_2018-10-7_21-30-49.png

The 3/4 refers to the original inside diameter of a pipe with threads on the outside.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-7_21-29-59.png
    upload_2018-10-7_21-29-59.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
For goodness' sake, they may measure 1 inch but that's not what they are called.

First reply:

View attachment 149839

The 3/4 refers to the original inside diameter of a pipe with threads on the outside.

I think this is all getting over dramatised... As long as the copper is 22mm as apposed to 3/4 imperial the the tap will be a standard size The fittings that connect a & b will be standard

I think this is all getting over dramatised...

Surely not. I'd expect at least another ten pages. Why don't we talk about 3/4 olives in 22mm comp fittings if necessary? Gotta be a page there in itself.:sleep:

Back