1 meter rule?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am hoping to build above the whole width of my garage. The side of the garage is on the boundary. My house is detached and my neighbours house next to the garage is a semi chalet style house, which is about 3 meters from the boundary.
After visiting the council office they said I was best to send of for pre planning advise which I did. They have come back and said they are very strict on making extensions come in 1 meter on the 1st floor from the boundary to stop the 'terrace effect' and that all windows should be brought in 1.5 meters from the boundary. I feel that this is ridiculous in my situation due to the style property I have next to me.
Does anybody have any advise. Would it be worth sending off to try and get planning permission and see what happens or just except that they will never let me do my proposed idea. They haven't said a solid 'no', they just stated their general policy.
Any advise would be great, thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's not really enough info to comment on your proposal, anychance of a photo and or some sketches?

IMO unless you are proposing something downright daft its always worth submitting your 'wish list' proposal and then negotiating with the planners during the approval period and hopefully you can both agree on a compromise that works for both of you. Unless you are gonna DIY the lot then find a good designer (really no need for an architect an architectural technician will do) who understands where you are coming from and will not be shy when it comes to speaking and negotiating with the planners during the process.

I've had the odd bonkers extension through I was doubtful about.

If it turns out that you both can not agree then you can always appeal though obviously that can go either way.

Pre-planning for domestic extensions is almost always a waste of time, as you have found.

Thanks for reply. Here is a picture of where I want to extend. As you have stated I found waiting 3 months for a response for ore planning advise a complete waste of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back