Extending house - how to close to boundary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on knocking down the attached single storey garage on my house and rebuilding it 1.4 meters wider and then building an additional bedroom and bathroom above.

Still very early stages, and i'm considering what planning objections i'll face with regards the neighbors boundary. The front left corner (when viewed from the road) of my existing garage is 2 meters from the boundary - by taking this corner further left, it will be within 0.6 meters of the boundary. I need to maintain access to my back garden between this corner and the boundary, hence the 0.6 meters - more than (just) enough for a wheelie bin.

Am I likley to be told I have to maintain a larger gap at the narrowest point? You can see from the pic that its only the front corner that's this close, .i.e. the plot tapers wider.

Attachments

• wheatcroft plot.jpg
    wheatcroft plot.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 268
Sponsored Links
There may be a specific dimension written in your Local Plan or other policy document which are the documents your local authority use to decide planning applications though sometimes you can push things a bit and you might have to scale it back a bit to get an approval. There will be other criteria they use to decide side extensions in there too. If you cannot find them on your local authority's website ring them up and ask them where you can find the documents. How close is your neighbours house?

Neighbours house is set well back away from the boundary. Ours is the corner plot - the Neighbours house is built 90 degrees to ours and is at least 9 meters away ie from their nearest corner to our nearest corner.

are you keeping in mind if you have a gate that you have a say 150mm for the frame [75mm each side] plus the gate stop one side and the thickness off the gate and door furniture the other side a further 60mm ish

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
distance to the boundary won't be the major deciding factor as to whether you can build a 2 storey extension, can't you step the extension back a bit from the front though. The bigger concerns are going to be overlooking, curbside appearance etc

The council's policies dictate what you can build, not the neighbour's opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back