1 or 2 fuseboxes?

HCM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small flat with 2 night storage heaters. My fuse boxes are the old type with replaceable wire, and I hope to get new ones with circuit breakers etc. At the moment there is one fuse box for the night storage heaters and one for the other electrics in the flat.

I have had 3 quotes from approved electricians. Two suggest staying with 2 fuseboxes, but one suggests having just 1 fusebox.

I'd very much welcome any thoughts/opinions on which would be better?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
how does he propose to wire two supplies to 1 fuseboard do you have a single meter with different settings of 2 seperate meters? this info is crucial to getting the right advice

If you post a photo showing the electricity meter{s), the supplier's fuse, the consumer units and the various cables around and between them, we will be able to make sensible suggestions.

I would say a separate consumer unit is more convenient. In most cases it is essential due to the way the supply works.

you can get double CU's.. 2 rails, one on top of the other.. very common in hotels where a single supply can be used to do 2 rooms.. ( with the use of a linking kit. )

usually 28 way ( 14 per rail ) you can get them configured to suit...

Sponsored Links
Dual tarriff CU's will allow you to consolidate all your existing CUs into one easy managable CU.

Theres not that many dual tariff CU's around any more since the introduction of 17th ed, allbeit without the use of expensive RCBO's.

I'd say your most cost-efficiant way to go is a board with an RCD main switch for the storage heaters and a dual-rcd split load board for the usual house circuits.

Storage heaters are prone to tripping RCDs as the elements start to degrade.

If you have a single RCD main switch for all the storage heaters, and it were to trip, it will most likely go undetected untill the house is cold.

You will then have to wait upto 24 hours until the heaters are charged again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back