1 Pipe Heating Sytem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One Pipe CH System

Our home has a one-pipe system and I know the best thing to do is to change it to a 2 pipe system. At this time it's just not possible.

It would be possible to alter the pipes so there is a one-pipe circuit heating the upstairs and another one heating the downing stairs circuit. Both of these would return to the boiler separately.

I am not doing this work, our usual gas engineer would be doing the work.

I would really appreciate the reader's thought on this idea.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Usually the 'one pipe' is run in as a single loop of pipework throughout the house with all the radiators sat atop it. Two separate loops would be required to split upstairs and downstairs. Depending on how the loop is currently run, you might be able to split it into two separate loops fairly easily, or you may have to re-plumb most of the system, in which case the work would be similar to converting it to a two pipe system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back