1 story extension, What are BC after?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

I’m looking to put a very small 1 story extension on the back of my house with a pitched roof. It would come under the permitted size required for planning permission so I’m assuming it’s only building control that would be involved.

What are building control going to be looking for? Would they be looking for plans and calculation? The extension will be 3000 * 2000 & have a pitched roof. It would be accessed by a kitchen door. The extension will have 2 rooms, a WC and wetroom. The WC will have a separate door off the wet room to comply with the 2 doors from the kitchen.

Much appreciated guys

James

Sponsored Links
You will have to submit a Building Regulation application and that can be done one of two ways...

- Building Notice
- Full Plans

They're both the same price. The main difference being you will receive an official stamped approval by Building Control on the Full Plans submission.

You will still have the BCO's carry out inspections regardless of which way you apply and you can start work once an application has been submitted... which is carried out at your own risk if going down the Full Plans route.

In reality, the majority of the Building Regulations would come into play.

Have you gone down the Certificate of Lawfulness route in regards to your planning permission or have you received an email/letter or verbal confirmation from them notifying you the proposed works will fall within PD?

Hello Guys,

I’m looking to put a very small 1 story extension on the back of my house with a pitched roof. It would come under the permitted size required for planning permission so I’m assuming it’s only building control that would be involved.

What are building control going to be looking for? Would they be looking for plans and calculation? The extension will be 3000 * 2000 & have a pitched roof. It would be accessed by a kitchen door. The extension will have 2 rooms, a WC and wetroom. The WC will have a separate door off the wet room to comply with the 2 doors from the kitchen.

Much appreciated guys

James

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the requirement for two doors between a kitchen and a loo was removed some years ago.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I had assumed that I wouldn't need PP

You know the saying... assumption is the mother of all ****ups ;)

The advice given on the PP website is very good but there can be other factors that would determine whether or not you need planning permission.

If you're confident you don't require it and your proposals do fall within PD (Permitted Development), then you can submit a Certificate of Lawfulness. This is priced at half the cost of a planning fee (i.e. £75) for a householder providing you apply before the works are due to be carried out. If you apply during or after the works, then the fee is the same as a normal householder planning fee (i.e. £150). The Certificate of Lawfulness is an official document, which is provided by the L.A. confirming the works do not require planning permission (for example). This is what can be kept together with the houses deeds, etc... if and when you come to sell because you can guarantee the solicitor would request to see proof that PP was not required. That may cost you time and money if you dealt with it then, than now.

Once that part has been submitted, you can then move onto the Building Regulations part. Who will be carrying out the works... you, a local/well established builder or have you not thought about that yet? Builders will want to see plans if they are to provide a quotation and some may not quote until they see full plans (i.e. plans, elevations, sections, specifications), which would be the services an Architect/Technician could offer.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the requirement for two doors between a kitchen and a loo was removed some years ago.

That is correct. You only require the one.

Thanks for coming back to me.

I would be looking to build the extension myself with assistance from my Father.

How does the Certificate of Lawfulness differ from a building notice?

Thanks

James

A Certificate of Lawfulness is for Planning purposes.

A Building Notice (and Full Plans application) is for Building Regulation purposes.

Basically, the certificate is a document that is issued by the council to confirm the works did not require a planning application and they fell within the requirements of Permitted Development. It's a document solicitors would request if/when you come to sell the property.

If you are intending to build this yourself then definitely go for a Certificate of Lawfulness as if you ask for a letter from the Local Authority the Planning Officer's advice will only be stated as 'being at Officer level' which means it's not legally binding.
As for Building Regs, go for a Full Plans application as the Building Notice route is only for those builders who know the regulations very well, and even then it's fraught with problems.

Guys, it's been a long time since this post, but I've finally got round to making an application for an lawful development certificate, however whe on the planning portal website, it states that the 'My Application' section includes applications for lawful development certificates, but when I'm making the application, I can't see anywhere specific to lawful development certificates.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Coxen

Go to Create new application and when asked allow it to help you to decide which application is appropriate and you should get an otion for the Certificate of Lawfullness on step 4. I know they have recently redesigned their web site but I've just been on the Planning Portal site and it works OK.
Cheers,
Nick

I can't see anywhere specific to lawful development certificates.

Have you used the PP to submit an application before? Because if so, the application type is in the same place as it was... before the upgrade/re-design so I'm not sure why you're having trouble trying to find it :confused:

pp.png

I can't see anywhere specific to lawful development certificates.

Have you used the PP to submit an application before? Because if so, the application type is in the same place as it was... before the upgrade/re-design so I'm not sure why you're having trouble trying to find it :confused:

pp.png

lol.

I was hitting the option for help needed in step 3, that was diverting me somewhere else.

Got it now. Thanks

Hello again guys,

Just running through this application.

There is a section called

"Please explain why you consider the existing or last use of the land is lawful, or why you consider that any existing buildings, which it is proposed to alter or extend are lawful"

I've put

The extension is to be no more than half the area of land around the original house.

The extension will not be forward of the principal elevation or side elevation, nor will it be higher than highest part of the roof, with a maximum height of 4m. The extension will have a maximum depth from the rear wall of 3m.

Every attempt will be made to ensure all visible materials, external bricks and tiles, match the existing building.

From the list of requirements for an extension under lawful development, the proposed extension meets the criteria.

They also ask the question on the same page

Why do you consider that a Lawful Development Certificate should be granted for this proposal?

This question seems very similar to the first.

I've followed the requirements from

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/

Is what I've put down, deemed suitable?

Thanks in advance

James

I have normally just copied and pasted the same information into both sections.

Imust admit ive always stumbled on this same section but if you read it carefully, there is a big difference.

The first is asking why you consider the EXISTING use or buildings are lawful, not the proposals. Ie why is your current house legal? its a daft question really.

The second question is asking why the PROPOSALS are lawful, ie why do they comply with permitted development.

I must admit, the form is nearly as time consuming as a full plans submission and in my experience is actually no quicker to come through. But maybe thats a planners ploy to p!ss us all off as we can bypass their 'opinions'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back