1 switch 2 lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing light in my cellar with a switch activating it. What i am trying to do is add another light at the top of the stairs leading down to it. I have wired in a new light to the switch, however when the cellar light is on, the light at the top is off and vice versa.

does anybody know how i can overcome this problem?

Sponsored Links
Yes - wire both lights to the same terminal on the switch, not one to L1 and the other to L2.

if i understand the question corectly, (extra light but no extra switch) the new light should be fed from the same place the existing lamp is, not the switch.

The new cable should be connected to the same wires that actually supply the lamp

breezer said:
if i understand the question corectly, (extra light but no extra switch) the new light should be fed from the same place the existing lamp is, not the switch.

The new cable should be connected to the same wires that actually supply the lamp

This is what I did. I wired cable to the two terminals that hold the lamp flex (red to the live brown, black the the neutral blue) and took it to a second ceiling rose and wired it to the usual live and neutral blocks on the new rose. Is what I done correct?

Sponsored Links
it would be if you connected the earth to the apropriate terminal, but i guess you forgot to mention that bit

lol. I did connect the earth to the apropiate terminal and I did forget to mention that bit.

Poo. I triple checked my post aswell. :rolleyes:

Extrasolar said:
lol. I did connect the earth to the apropiate terminal and I did forget to mention that bit.

Poo. I triple checked my post aswell. :rolleyes:

:LOL: like you checked the last one? "aswell"

:eek:

It was the primitive spell checker that missed that one. The one in my head. :LOL:

Extrasolar said:
breezer said:

This is what I did. I wired cable to the two terminals that hold the lamp flex (red to the live brown, black the the neutral blue) and took it to a second ceiling rose and wired it to the usual live and neutral blocks on the new rose. Is what I done correct?

Odd behaviour with the switch, then...

I kinda assumed (and what are people always telling me about assuming? :oops: ) that Chameleonmm (or is it Extrasolar :?: :?: ) had fitted a new rose in full loop-in stlyie, and had wired to the existing switch, but had used both L1 and L2, which would explain the way the lights were never both on or both off.

If the new rose is being used just as a connector block fed from the switched supply to the original light, how can the new light be on when the original one is off, and v-v?.

wired wrong. we will not know until chameleonmm gets back to us.

chameleonmm, how exactly have you wired this new light?

ban-all-sheds said:
Extrasolar said:
breezer said:

Odd behaviour with the switch, then...

I kinda assumed (and what are people always telling me about assuming? :oops: ) that Chameleonmm (or is it Extrasolar :?: :?: ) had fitted a new rose in full loop-in stlyie, and had wired to the existing switch, but had used both L1 and L2, which would explain the way the lights were never both on or both off.

If the new rose is being used just as a connector block fed from the switched supply to the original light, how can the new light be on when the original one is off, and v-v?.

I think you're a bit confuzzled mate. It is chamellooennmomenoam who has the one on, one off problem. Both of my lights are working from the same switch cable because I have wired the second rose to the lamp holder flex terminals on the original rose. It works fine. :D

I must make more of an effort to pay attention to who is posting what - sorry :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back