100 watt headlamp bulbs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered new 55 watt headlamp bulbs but was sent 100 watt instead.

With most cars I would use them without thinking.

But this is on a Renault Scenic Mk II ! They seem to have very delicate electronics!

Should I use them?

Sponsored Links
I think your Renault could cope with the extra wattage but Im not sure about the extra heat generated.....the ‘bulb out’ system may get upset too. Personally I wouldn’t use them but
I’d agree the standard bulbs arent up to much.
John :)

Sponsored Links
A lot of the aftermarket bulbs you see are marked "not for road use."

I look for the ones advertised as "road legal."

If that's what you ordered, you're entitled to a refund.

It's a pity that modern LED lamps are generally not legal as replacements in older cars.

A lot of the aftermarket bulbs you see are marked "not for road use."

I look for the ones advertised as "road legal."

If that's what you ordered, you're entitled to a refund.

It's a pity that modern LED lamps are generally not legal as replacements in older cars.

Look for an approval mark on the bulb - either a lower case "e" in a rectangle or an upper case "E" in a circle, followed by some other numbers. If it has one, it's probably legal.

As said they are illegal. I agree that LEDs would be great, I tried some LED brake and fog lights, but annoyingly (despite being super bright), they made the cars computer think I was a bulb out due to the lower power consumption.

They will probably blow quite soon, due to vibration as with all Renault bulb holders and they will be running even hotter.

Ok, thanks for your thoughts.

The Chinese seller has offered a 50% refund which have accepted for convenience.

Have fitted one of the 55w spares I have.

Need to find where they hide the fuses!

Check your fuses for the circuit, your almost doubling the amperage from 4.5 to 8.3 a side roughly.
Also check the cable - and electronics - are adequate for twice the current.

It probably is but it is not wise to simply double the rating of a fuse.

Sponsored Links
Back