100mm Bearing For Internal Load Bearing Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a builder booked in to remove an internal load bearing wall over a span of 3.2m. We didn't want nibs on the walls to keep them flat for appliances and he said that a 100mm bearing would be sufficient.

The wall supports approx 250 bricks for a small bathroom wall above and has 4 joists sitting directly on it. 2 from the bathroom and 2 from the back bedroom. All the other joists either run the full width of the house or rest on an existing doorway which will be bricked up. The RSJ will rest on the external cavity wall and an internal single brick wall both running at right angles to the wall being removed.

We have sent notice in to building control but I have just found out that 150mm is the recommended bearing.

Is 150mm mandatory or only a recomendation in certain circumstances. We're struggling for space and the nibs will ruin the layout of the new kicthen. My builder didn't seem to think it was a problem and he has also said he has spoken to building control who told him that calcs probably won't be required because of the type of work involved. Is he right or do you think I should get someone else in?

Sponsored Links
For your own piece of mind get a structural engineer to check the calcs but 150 is as you say recommended and not statutory. BC will accept if you can present calcs from a qualified person to support you proposal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back