10mm microbore rad system, can I fit towel warmer with 15mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

With the bathroom floor out and joists just replaced I'm also upgrading from a radiator to towel rail. The rads run on 10mm microbore to 15 or 22mm copper. It would make it a lot easire (due to bits lying in my box) that I fit the new towel rail with 15mm copper from the 15/22 main pipes. Can I do this or will I cause an imbalance between the flow in the towel rail vs all the other rads?

Finally, it's a medium size bathroom on the outside corner of a 2 bed semi, the towel rail is big at 1200mm x 750mm x 22mm rails, but we have big towels - will I need to relocate and keep the old radiator? It was a 1500mm single and was warm enough. I don't want to overkill, but I don't want to have to rip the floor up in winter to retro install.

I did search and wiki but didn't come across the answer really.

Pointers appreciated, Greg.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but you will need to balance the new addition with the lockshield only open a 1/4 turn.

Towel rails give no useful heat when covered with towels.

Tony

greg,
Did the Rad come with any Instructions or the box indicate the BTUs of the Towel Rail? Personally I think they are mostly carp but you can get some with decent enough BTUs. As Tony says, once you have a few towels on there the heat into the room will be naff. But as Mrs Housewife says, 'But it looks good though doesn't it'?... Yeah whatever, and will you be bothered about the aesthetics when the winter comes?

lol love your style ;)

It's 830w (2850 BTu's) but as Tony says it's not going to do much if it's covered by towels. It has a purpose, I'm fed up with a wood towel rack in the middle of the room and fed up with damp towels. What I'm not convinced of is that it will replace the rad, so I'm thinking to move the rad and still have it in the system.

Greg.

greg,
Did the Rad come with any Instructions or the box indicate the BTUs of the Towel Rail? Personally I think they are mostly carp but you can get some with decent enough BTUs. As Tony says, once you have a few towels on there the heat into the room will be naff. But as Mrs Housewife says, 'But it looks good though doesn't it'?... Yeah whatever, and will you be bothered about the aesthetics when the winter comes?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony. I'll do that.

You answer a ton of these questions, do you have a paypal for donations?

Greg.

Yes, but you will need to balance the new addition with the lockshield only open a 1/4 turn.

Towel rails give no useful heat when covered with towels.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back