10mm plastic pipe inserts - needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to cut into some 10mm plastic CH pipe the other day to clear a blockage - took an offcut of the pipe to local DIY store and asked for something to join it back together to which they recommended a push fit coupling. I used this and all is fine - at the moment!

I have since realised that maybe they should have inserts in the ends of the pipes before going in the push fit coupling - is that right? I am storing up a potential leak one day by not having them? The 10mm doesn't feel very squashable but then with hot CH water in maybe it is more pliable. If I need them, are they just generic things or is it specific to the make of pipe?

Sponsored Links
Yes as a rule each plastic product has it's own insert and are not interchangable. Best bet is to look at one of the fittings to identify the pipe used, or you may find it printed every metre or so along the side of the pipe.
Then buy the correct fittings for the repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back