plastic piping inserts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never used plastic piping before
SO on every joint must you use inserts
On every compression and every push fit connecter???
im about to add another rad existing pipework is plastic 10mm
thanks

Sponsored Links
Yep, 'fraid so. Make sure the insert is designed for the pipe - JG differs from Hep20 differs from polypipe. Not much, but just enough to annoy.

You don't need to use 10mm just cos its already there, can use 15 if you prefer (saves mucking around with reducers at the valves)

Sponsored Links
when i first started using pushfit i didn't use any inserts and didn't have any problems.

Hower, recently i had to add isolators to our shower pipes so i used the grey fittings with the metal inserts?? What a load of carp they are.
Oh...and i mixed, due to a lack of knoweldge on my part, white with grey and didn't pay attention to what inserts were for waht piping.
Result? The cold pipe blew off one afternoon last month, flooded the bathroom and p!ssed through the kitchen ceiling like a waterfall.
I fixed it by pushing the pipe into the elbow more (nb, this is different to the white pushfit stuff, and far more awkward imho).
Then yesterday morning at 6.15am the other end of the elbow blew off for the same reason and this time it was even worse; the kitchen looked like niagara falls :rolleyes: :confused:
So i fixed that end too....and learned a valuable lesson. Albeit there was very little hand space for me to get into.

ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT INSERTS FOR PIPING USED!
DON'T USE THE GREY RUBBISH!
I've never had an issue with the white pushfit stuff (they only had the grey stuff when i needed to buy, didn't realise it was carp!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back