Plastic pipe identification

I agree replacement would be far better.

But failing that I would suggest using a similar plastic fitting and any insert which fits snugly.

Tony

Agreed, but if the pipe is badly scored where the "O" ring sits on the pipe you risk a weep. Also, dirt and crap on the pipe can prevent the teeth from gripping correctly.
Would need to select the best (cleanest) bit of pipe to Tee into.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, brilliant replies as usual.

I would prefer not to replace, the bit I am working on is just about the only accessible area. I have noticed that Screwfix do the range of Hep2o push fittings. If I can get away with not replacing, can I use these fittings/ s/s inserts?

I am fitting a small basin unit so will need to insert two tees, two lengths of pipe off the tees to the tap connectors.

SjH

I've had Acorn since 1982. No issues, no inserts and have added Polyplumb to it with no leaks, no issues and no inserts. Crack on OP.
I attended an institute of Plumbing evening with the Polyplumb rep talking. He said it was only the UK water bye laws that requires the use of inserts, not the product. Compression was the exception.

I've had Acorn since 1982. No issues, no inserts and have added Polyplumb to it with no leaks, no issues and no inserts. Crack on OP.
I attended an institute of Plumbing evening with the Polyplumb rep talking. He said it was only the UK water bye laws that requires the use of inserts, not the product. Compression was the exception.

The insert / support sleeve is an integral part of a Pushfit joint (warranty void if insert not fitted) it keeps the pipe in shape under the "0" ring if any sideways deflection is put onto the pipe, Without an insert the pipe could possibly become deformed and cause a weep.

I think your Polypipe Rep should have a read through his companies installation instructions. Extract below.

Insert a pipe stiffener into the pipe (not required on copper pipe). Pipe stiffeners are an integral part of the joint when using Polypipe grey pipe with either PolyPlumb fittings or compression fittings and need to be fully inserted in to the pipe end.

Polypipe offer two types of pipe stiffener to be used with PolyPlumb fittings - metal and plastic. When using a pipe stiffener, ensure it is fully inserted before applying the fitting.

Sponsored Links

The insert / support sleeve is an integral part of a Pushfit joint (warranty void if insert not fitted) it keeps the pipe in shape under the "0" ring if any sideways deflection is put onto the pipe, Without an insert the pipe could possibly become deformed and cause a weep.

I think your Polypipe Rep should have a read through his companies installation instructions. Extract below.

Insert a pipe stiffener into the pipe (not required on copper pipe). Pipe stiffeners are an integral part of the joint when using Polypipe grey pipe with either PolyPlumb fittings or compression fittings and need to be fully inserted in to the pipe end.

Polypipe offer two types of pipe stiffener to be used with PolyPlumb fittings - metal and plastic. When using a pipe stiffener, ensure it is fully inserted before applying the fitting.
Yeah I know, I said European countries, not the UK. AS DID HE. Their water works differently to ours.
As said, I have never had an issue.

It has nothing to do with Water Regs in the UK, the insert performs a key function in keeping the pipe perfectly round if any sideways deflection is applied to the pipe.
That is why the insert is long enough to pass where the "O" ring sits on the pipe.

The fact that Polypipes own instructions state that the insert is an integral part of the joint pretty much covers that.

Came across the same stuff for the firat time a couple of weeks ago on a back boiler to sealed boiler conversion.

Ended up ripping whole lot out and repiped as it was non barrier pipe anyway.

Hep20 do adaptor fittings/inserts for them if you need them. As its same company now i assume they would have told me to just use their normal fittings if they were suitable but they definetely said i needed diffetent adaptors

Yet to hear of a successful claim against a plastic pipe company anyway.

Well you won't if people can't follow simple installation instructions like "always use an insert" it gives them a "get out of jail free card" when there's a problem

Fittings of whatever makeup should not be put under stress. Basic plumbing skills. You can blame whatever you like, it's lack of basic skill that causes the problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back