Underground oil pipe plastic QUAL PE-X

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to replace steel underground pipe with 15mm plastic QUAL PE-X. Using supplied metal inserts each end, what fitting should be used to connect plastic QUAL to my existing 15mm coppers at Tank & house entry point.?
Standard brass compression type??

Thanks
John2wires

Sponsored Links
No underground connections(standard compression) & the pipe must be protected above ground as it doesn't like UV.

Where Qualpex is excposed to daylight, it must be protected from UV, this could be a sleeve, or I have used Denso tape on one occasion, you could terminate it underground, but the couplings would need to be in an inspection chamber to allow for inspection and maintenance ;)

Sponsored Links
Where Qualpex is excposed to daylight, it must be protected from UV, this could be a sleeve, or I have used Denso tape on one occasion, you could terminate it underground, but the couplings would need to be in an inspection chamber to allow for inspection and maintenance ;)

Thanks Boilerman2 for useful info. & quick response

Plastic oil pipe must not be used above ground. It's not so much the UV Propoerties but the fact it's a combustible material !

Plastic pipe must be terminated under ground by means of compression fittings (used with inserts) where these joints are underground, access to the joints must be provided by suitable access chambers for the inspection of the joints. Pipework must be brought above ground in copper or other non-combustible, non-galavanised materials.

Flexible Oil lines used as the final connection from the oil supply line to the burner, must always be kept within the boiler casing and protected by a remote sensing fire valve , the body of which should be kept outside the property. Wheelhead fusible type firevalves are not to be used as a sole means of fire protection.

Environmental Oil cleanup costs from the environmental agency start from 25k. Whilst the home owner insurance companies will bear the initial costs of oil spillage be aware, if it can be proven that oil spillage was down to negligence i.e not following MI or BS5410 and other regulations, the installer could face the final cleanup bill. Please bear this in mind!

For further reading on this : BS5410 Pt 1, Page 35 section 8.2.2

Do you mean Qual-PEX (white) or Qual-oil (green)? Both are made of cross-linked (X for cross-linked*) polyethylene (PE for polyethylene - *PEX).

Qual-oil is UV stabilized and OFTEC approved, and should be joined with compression fittings.

Qual oil still needs protection above ground. It is susceptible to rodent attack!

Qual oil still needs protection above ground. It is susceptible to rodent attack!

This post was started 3 years ago!!! I'm sure the OP has long since got it all sorted!! ;)

install pvc coated copper, job done. do it properly and stop beating around the bush with cheap plastic tat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back