10mm reducer, 9mm hole? Normal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been to B&Q to get a 15mm to 10mm reducer to fit the new 15mm TRV onto 10mm pipe.

This is all they have I think - https://www.diy.com/departments/plumbsure-compression-reducing-set-dia-15mm/34169_BQ.prd

Got home, and the pipe seems to thick to slide into it. Measure pipe, 10mm, measure the smaller side of the reducer and its only 9mm?!

This isnt normal is it? Have I really got the dodgy one of probably thousands made?

IMG-20200128-145707.jpg

Sponsored Links
you have the correct one, you are measuring the stop at the end of the fitting, you put the compression nut from the valve on the pipe and fit the insert if PE pipe, then the whole reducer slides onto the end of the pipe, from the other end that you are measuring, then the complete unit is fitted into the valve and tightened till you feel a snap, then tighten the fitting till tight, not all pe pipe inserts can be used with that fitting, if using PE post a pic of the insert you are using

Sponsored Links
Hate those snap reducers, much prefer the internal ones with the olive.
rab I am the same, done a complete repipe with a mate and he used JG speedfit with the black O rings on the inserts, with the one piece reducers, filled the sytem and fired and every rad pipe blew off, those snap reducers grab the O ring and dont make a seal

every rad pipe blew off

Ouch Ian ... i can just visualise that, more than tears spilt that day I'll bet. :eek:

Horrible things, I won't work on them any more, will always replace. It's wouldn't have been difficult to put 15mm reducers on it to fit a native valve, all you need to do is look at them the wrong way and they pi$$ on you.

Ouch Ian ... i can just visualise that, more than tears spilt that day I'll bet. :eek:

Horrible things, I won't work on them any more, will always replace. It's wouldn't have been difficult to put 15mm reducers on it to fit a native valve, all you need to do is look at them the wrong way and they pi$$ on you.
Was a complete re-pipe of truwell and a new boiler, an absolute nightmare of a job, I still wince when I drive past it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back