10mm v 15mm pipes for underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Florad recently recommended that we install a 10mm pipe system at 180mm centres in a concrete/screed floor system. I took that to 3 other opinions who said that 15mm pipes are always preferably.

I've been digging further in order to understand what to use and where.

It seems that 10mm is often used in chipboard or foam heating panels. For instance polypipe use 10mm pipes for their heating panel and 12mm pipes for their underlay system, but 15mm or 18mm for screed systems.

Firstly I noticed that smaller pipe systems need to be run at a higher temperature - 60C for 10mm vs 50C for 15mm. So I assume that means 10mm systems are more expensive ot run?

As 15mm systems have a larger volume of water I also assume they heat up the room quicker.

So I've been trying to understand why the different choices. Here are some initial hypothesis I have.

Screed systems will work with the pipes to radiate heat so wider spacing can be used and the larger pipes also mean lower temperatures can be used.

Panel systems rely more on the pipe to heat the air, which means the pipes must be brought closer together and run at a higher temperature to heat the air. 15mm pipe at the higher temperature might become locally uncomfortable as the heat becomes too intense. The closer centres means more pipe, so a smaller pipe can help with cost. I suspect panel and underlay systems are often used in height sensitive installations so a smaller pipe helps.

I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions.

Sponsored Links
oh and the smaller bore takes more electricity to move the same volume of water through it. So not only does it use more gas for the higher temperature, it uses more electricity for the pump.

Anyone have any other insights? I'd be interested to here justifications as to why you might use a 10mm pipe in screed.

Mark

Add the fact 10mm block a LOT more quickly due to sludge, and that 15mm holds more water so has a bigger thermal mass leading to smoother temperature changes.

The only plus for 10 I can think of is cost. Materials are cheaper, installation faster, and visual aspects are neater (smaller holes and pipes), and if screeded they need less thickness of screed on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back