11.2kw combined power for Hob and Double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current set up is a freestanding electric oven on a 32amp MCB

Now getting rid of this and replacing with a double oven (under counter) (5kw) and Electric Hob (6.2kw)

There is a 45amp Douple pole switch in place going down to a CCU.

Cable is 6mm and buried in plaster. CAble run is 4 metres

I make the new demand 47amps at 240v

Can the current CCU be replaced with a Dual CCU to supply the new Hob and new Double oven?

With diversity applied I make it approx 27amps total (10a + 30%)

My thinking is to upgrade the MCB to a 45amp to supply both or should a new 32amp circuit be run so that both appliances have a dedicated circuit. (no free space in Fuseboard)

Sponsored Links
My new stand alone cooker rated 12455W but still recommends a 32A supply. The point is with induction hobs less heat goes into the room so average power used is less even though max power is more. Also if overload was to occur then all that happens is the supply is removed. (fuse blow or MCB trip)

The only concern is over heating due to fan failure but this can also happen with a general power cut so should be designed so it can withstand and heat build up. However it could overheat items in adjacent cupboards. Not really an issue with stand alone but could be with built in.

So I would not be worried about using the existing 32A supply.

I make the new demand 47amps at 240v
Correct.

Can the current CCU be replaced with a Dual CCU to supply the new Hob and new Double oven?
Yes.
Does the oven come with a flex attached? If not, use 4mm².
If it does this should be assessed in relation to fault current.

With diversity applied I make it approx 27amps total (10a + 30%)
47 - 10 x 0.3 +10 = 21A (add 5A if socket in cooker switch)

My thinking is to upgrade the MCB to a 45amp
No need.

a new 32amp circuit be run so that both appliances have a dedicated circuit.
Definitely no need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back