oven & hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, have recently had a new cu fitted & meter tails. Also new double oven (5.5 kw) with a 32amp breaker (trip ?) to a new 45amp ccu with 10 mm cable & 10mm cable to oven.Now want to fit a ceramic hob(6kw) less than 2m from oven. can i use the same new 45amp ccu with a 10mm cable to hob if so will i have to upgrade the 32amp breaker and what too.thanks.

hope iam replying correctly. thanks luminiare and its yes to your question

Sponsored Links
Yes, you should just be able to get away with it by using a 45A MCB.

I take it you are not contemplating putting both cables into a Cooker Control Unit, but will in fact be using a Cooker Connection Unit?

I'm doing a similar job at the moment. CCU is about 1m from the hob single oven is about 6m away.

Can I get away with with 6mm cable from 45A breaker in the consumer unit to the CCU, 6mm from ccu to the hob and 6mm from ccu to the oven?

Hob is AEG 68002 induction hob, but I can't find out the wattage. oven is electrolux eob63100x, again, I dont know the wattage but it's nenergy rated A - if that's relevant.

The oven will have a wattage on it somewhere. The rating plate is normally on the back, or on the frame when you open the door. Again, the hob will have a rating on it somewhere - probably underneath or on the sides. Electrolux's website is the worst website I think i've ever had the pleasure of visiting unfortunately.

If the oven is less than 3kw (normal on single ovens), it can be simply plugged into a socket, as it uses no more electricity than a kettle or a heater. Your hob will certainly need a large supply, but if the circuit only supplies the hob, downrate the breaker for 32 amps. Your cooker switch is not "qualified" to control the oven as well, as it is more than 2 metres away.

Install a double pole 20 amp switch on the ring main, controlling a single socket behind the oven (IF, again, its under 3kw)

Sponsored Links
I haven't actually got the oven and hob yet so I don't know the output. the oven is A rated for efficienct though - if that means anything.

the oven is A rated for efficienct though - if that means anything.
Unfortunately not. For example, a small under counter fridge can be A rated and consume 200kw* per year. A tall upright fridge can be A rated and consume 400kw* per year. You see the problem here. ;)

*Example figures.

On a side note, I think it really really sucks that manufacturers dont state the total wattage of their appliances on their websites and literature in stores. Customers have to guess or wait until they have the appliance. And I have visited two major manufacturers websites lately for instruction booklets, and been disappointed both times, as their websites were cumbersome or directed me to a third party to PURCHASE an instruction manual :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back