1150mm x 2600mm - Too small for french doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a typical Victorian terrace, lay out as below -

I'm hoping to remove my kitchen door and brick it up, to gain space back in my kitchen for units.

The problem I have is my car parking is at the rear and I access the house this way 90% of the time. I was hoping to fit french doors in the dining room but without replacing the lintel I can only go to 1150mm wide, which the window fitter I asked advised this may be a little too narrow. He suggested maybe a single door glass opening outwards, but this would only be 1000mm and leave quite a large frame with extra white plastic to pack it out.

Just trying to see if anyone has any other ideas?

Capture.PNG

Sponsored Links
He said he can but wouldn’t recommend them that narrow, as it will be a lot of frame and means both will need to be open to get in and out?

Sponsored Links
Depends how big you are doesn't it? I'd guess one leaf when open would give a clear opening of about 450mm. Certainly couldn't walk through it head on but sideways you (or I) could. Or how about offset french doors with the main door bigger than the other?

Single door with a side panel or get a oversized door made and offer to sign a disclaimer
Ok, didn’t realise that was possible. Do you know anywhere that supply’s them over 1m? Cheers

Fit an insulated porch with a double doorset and leave the 1150mm opening clear/devoid of any door or frame

Think the French windows on my sitting room are only about 1100 wide, they look fine to me (pic tomorrow)

We have these, which are old but you get the idea. 115cm wide. Only the large door opens. The neighbours have full glass ones without the small.panel at the bottom.
20230615_142936.jpg

The opening in the wall is 1230. They're set nearly flush so they can open fully (got some landscaping to do first....
IMG_20230615_182936837_HDR.jpg

Thanks, both look good to me.

Does anyone know is it possible to have both handles function and not have to use a dead bolt on one of them? Just as it will be the main entry I use to my house.

How do you mean deadbolt? If you leave the full door (the one with the centre pillar) unlocked then it'll be less secure than if both doors are locked. Just tried mine- there's no movement if I have the half door locked and the full door unlocked so maybe not as insecure as I thought.
Less than ideal as a main entrance though- you're sort of sidling through if there's only 1 door open, 2 doors open is 2 doors to close, flap about in the breeze etc

If you do go for either, and as this is the only "window" on the back of your house, I would somehow have the side panel (in my case) openable but also able to be latched slightly open. This means you can let a breeze in but not create a huge draft through your house or have the door flapping in the wind as @oldbutnotdead says. This is the only downside for me from having this type of door as your only opening to the outside. Especially at night when it is warm and you just want a small amount of air and not all the insects to come in. And also for security as you can't see the door from the other rooms of your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back