119 x 19mm TG&V boards to car port roof - advice please

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Total car port size = 9.6m x 3.6m
Roof pitch circa 9 degrees and will be fitted to and between main house and boundary wall.
Main frame to be 175 x 44 @ 600 ctrs on hangers on ledgers both sides.
For aesthetics we are going with treated 119mm x 19mm t&g boards onto the joists and exposed below. Cost a bit more and labour intensive but that's the finished look we want.
Just a couple of queries:
I plan to top fix the t&g boards to the joists with 2 no. 50mm lost head nails per joist. I don't need to hide the fixings so though this would be easiest as opposed to secret nailing. With 4.5m lengths of treated t&g I think I might struggle to get all the interlocking joints good and tight so was avoiding secret nailing via the tongue. I am reading that ratchet type clamps might help - are they worth considering ?
Do I need allow for expansion of the t&g sheeting anywhere particular close to walls ?
EPDM roof to be bonded to to t&g sheeting. Firestone 1.14mm.
Open to all suggestions please about any aspect of the above.

Sponsored Links
Never seen those boards! whats wrong with using the normal 2400x600 0sb3 TG boards?

We like the look of the boards from the underside which will be exposed. Purely aesthetics.
Not unlike alot of the carport / garden rooms that can be purchased online.
I see from online videos that board installation starts on the lower side and work upwards ?

Sponsored Links
See photo

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-31 134038.jpg
    Annotation 2020-05-31 134038.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 185
I guess they are floor board sizes except they are treated which I thought would be wise with the underside exposed and open ends to car port.
Any advice on the queries raised ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back