12mm soft ply for an oven housing??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do.

I'm in the process of building a set of kitchen units from scratch. I'm using 12mm soft plywood to make the carcasses. Is this wood going to be ok to make the fitted oven housing from or does it need to be made of Melamine Faced Chipboard?

Are there any fire retardation regs for the housing or are the fitted oven cases insulated to prevent excessive heat from being transferred to the housing?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
wanabechippie said:
I'm in the process of building a set of kitchen units from scratch. I'm using 12mm soft plywood to make the carcasses. Is this wood going to be ok to make the fitted oven housing from or does it need to be made of Melamine Faced Chipboard?
The conti-broad is the norm unlike 12mm plywood will not be flat as the conti-board depending on how you are making it. The 12mm plywood is a bit on the thin side as conti-board are 15mm.
Are there any fire retardation regs for the housing or are the fitted oven cases insulated to prevent excessive heat from being transferred to the housing?
Depending if it's the under the worktop housing, the tall housing unit should have air-vent on the bottom plinth and via out at the top back of the unit. The instruction of the oven will tell you the spec recommendation

12mm ply! :eek:

Those units will wobble like a wobbly thing when you are slicing your bread.

Not to mention hygiene, water aborbsion (delamination), expansion, and rigidity issues.

Sponsored Links
<forms mental image>

hmmmmmm

<snaps out of it abruptly when gets to Jade>
pukeface.gif

Ah. :(

Should really have posted here somewhat prior to forking out £170 on the ply then! :oops:

Am making the units with a 2"x3" frame and using the 12mm ply for the infill pannels. Should sort out the 'wobbles' (still haunted by jade images *whhhurrrgh* :eek: )

As for delamination: would it work if i sealed the crap out of it with a clear polyurathane varnish?

Cheers for all the input!

Yes you can seal the ply with varnish. Just take extra care on all those edges which will get knocked and will be exposed to moisture/spills

The 3x2 frame and ply should make a sturdy unit, but its just a bit unconventional and 3x2 seems a bit thick.

If you have planned it all out, and considered how it will all fit toghter, then go for it.

2 x 1 PAR would be more than adequate for the carcasses providing it is glued and pinned. The main problem I can see is that you won't be able to buy-in standard size doors as your oven housing will end up too wide to accommodate them.

Scrit

any carcass can be made rigid by fixing a back board to the overall carcass, either with glue&pins or glue&screws.

...or if you screw it to the wall, as well as the worktop above, it won't move much.

Cheers.

I'm trying to copy a design I saw in the Ikea catalogue. Quite chunky kitchen units with a lot of wood on show. I know that they're made from Scaninavian pine but hopefully the ply will look just as good .....

..... Right? :oops:

I'm going to (try) and make the doors myself out of 18mm hard ply.

Here goes!!... :confused:

PS: I'll post some pics here of it all when i'm done massacaring it. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back