12v downlight problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This ishould be quite simple but is now driving me nuts ! I bought a set of 12v downlights from B&Q, come as individual items transformer, bulb holder, cables. When I wire them up, just live and neutral, they don't work. I have 12v out of the transformer when all cables connected but as soon as I plug in a bulb the voltage goes to zero. I have tried several bulbs and the same happens every time. Can anyone shed any light for me,
many thanks, Paul.

Sponsored Links
pics.gif

Also, are you aware that you need to apply for Building Regulations approval before you install these lights?

Yes pictures would be a great help here!
So some photos of the items or links to B&Q web pages with item you have bought and the arrangement of the circuit.

Sponsored Links
So you have MR16 rated at 25W (not LED)
and drivers with max at 15W. (White Transformer For Led Bulbs)
You need LED lamps!

Ah, now I see the problem, thank you very much. B&Q package and display these as though they all fit together, obviously they don't. A trip there tomorrow then.
Many thanks for all responses.

Paul.

Ah, now I see the problem, thank you very much. B&Q package and display these as though they all fit together, obviously they don't.
Quite reasonably, IMO, they expect people to be able to read, so when they say on the boxes things like "White Transformer For Led Bulbs" they don't expect people to buy halogen bulbs to go with it.

:rolleyes:

Take the lights back and buy some LED downlights, yes they are more expensive, but you'll save that money back in no time with the low electric usage on them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back