12v LCD TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ya

I have recently purchased a caravan :oops::rolleyes: ... and would like to make up a cable for my LCD TV.

The TV is a Wharfedale LCD1510A and the mains adapter is made by LI Shin:

Model: 0217B1250 (if you're interested)
Input: 100-240v~, 50/60hz 1.2A
Output: 12cv -.-.-.- 4.16A
Connector: 4 pin

Also, where is the best place to purchase the necessary connectors etc?

... or is it better to purchase a 12v to mains adapter?
... or will that eat the battery (110Ah)?

Thanks...

JR
:eek:

Sponsored Links
You may find that this TV will run directly on 12 volts.

The ouput of the supply unit
suggests it is a 12 volt TV

But check with Wharfdale before doing anything t osee if it is 12 volt DC and which polarity. They may have a standard car adapator lead for this TV.

if the manufacturer sells a car adaptor then get it, it will include any nessacery voltage conversion/regulation circuitry.

while car power is nominally 12V in reality it can be anywhere from about 10V with a nearly flat battery to nearly 15V (sometimes even higher) when the engine is running (i presume you have some kind of arrangement to charge the caravan battery from the car engine) and is full of spikes. As a general rule you shouldn't connect electronic equiment directly to car power unless the manual explicitly says it is safe to do so.

Rudster said:

Battery capacity is determined by the amount of electrical energy the battery can deliver over a certain period of time and is measured in Ampere hours (Ah) when discharged at a uniform rate over a given period of time. Ampere hours (Ah) are calculated by multiplying the current (in amperes) by time (in hours) the current is drawn.

In your case your battery can provide 1A for 110 hours. If your TV consumes 4.16A (it probably uses less, but that's what your power supply is rated at) it will run your TV for 26 hours, as long as you don't use it to power anything else. I believe modern caravans have some voltage stabilisation built into their circuitry, but would be wary if yours doesn't.

If you use a 12v to mains adaptor it will not last as long. Power supplies are not 100% efficient as energy is lost in heat. You will also be running two power supplies, firstly transforming your 12 VDC up to 230 vac and then reducing it back to 12 VDC.

Just be aware though if your TV is under warrantee, manufacturers tend to insist that TV's are powered only but their approved power supplies.

Sponsored Links
Somewhere sells small LCD TVs specifically for the car / caravan market. We have one at work at the checkout for the CCTV. It came without a TX, obviously intended for direct connection to a car (via a fuse, supplied!). Only one wire from the screen, and the other end is just loose cores, you have to do the wiring yourself, but thats the fun of it! Only a small thing, the kind of thing they use on Pimp My Ride.

Unfortunately the guy who fitted it hadn't heard of heatshrink or crimps or solder, so there's a co-ax coupled to the composite cores via a 5A 2 terminal block, and the power comes from a massive 12v TX, again, coupled via a 5A terminal block. Very messy. :rolleyes: I'm almost tempted to re-do it properly myself, but that'd be very sad. :LOL:

Hi all

Thanks for all your responses, it's much appreciated.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and make up a cable directly into the caravan ... GULP :eek: Should be OK, the van is brand new and the 12v plug is designed specifically for TV's, probably has a stabilser built in. If I blow the TV up I'll take back to Argos and moan! :oops:

I did look into a stabilzer and inverter but these things are expensive, so here goes!

Unless anybody knows where I can get cheap 12v stabaliser?

Ta again...

JR
;)

you spend god knows waht on a tv and you are whinging about spending a fiver!

I have just Googled that model & nowhere does it say it is for 12Volt,
Although it does say it has a DC socket, I would be very careful.

nice one breezer, you are now up to 15,745 posts ... were they all that good?

JonB, thanks for your response the tv has 12v dc written on the socket ... so no worries there.

Ta... J

Hi there

Does any body know where i can get a new Li Shin international enterprise corp AC Adapter, i use it for my whaferdale tv on the boat.

It has a pin connector on the output

I have hunted web sites for spec on TV and I can only find info on speakers.
The old portable TV I had used a 4 pin plug to also switch from mains to battery but since no mains in TV I would expect the four pins allow the unit to monitor the voltage at the TV rather than at the inverter.

With that in mind I would expect the voltage is critical and feeding 13.2v from a battery just off charge could damage the set.

The stabilisers shown I suspect are switch mode devices which turn the DC to AC and transform to required voltage then back to DC.

In which case you may as well used a standard 12 to 230vac inverter in the same way as I do to power my PC in car. Also that way you can also run other items of same inverter. I also charge my phone with one in car and my mothers disability scooter.

Because the standard 12vdc to 230vac inverters are now quite common their price has come down so likely also cheapest option.

Most items designed to run off batteries are rated 11 to 16 volt DC and not plain 12vdc.

Looking here at TV designed to be portable it gives voltage as 13.8VDC and of course costs more and you have to accept if you want to convert a TV you will need an inverter.

Hi ya

I have recently purchased a caravan :oops::rolleyes: ... and would like to make up a cable for my LCD TV.

The TV is a Wharfedale LCD1510A and the mains adapter is made by LI Shin:

Model: 0217B1250 (if you're interested)
Input: 100-240v~, 50/60hz 1.2A
Connector: 4 pin

Also, where is the best place to purchase the necessary connectors etc?

... or is it better to purchase a 12v to mains adapter?

Thanks...

JR
:eek:

hello i would like this adapter please can i have a picture tank you asap :!:

Rudster joined over 2 years ago, made 7 posts in the next 5 months and not a dickie bird since.

I suggest you don't base your plans on getting a reply from him...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back