12v LED floodlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, don't know if this technology exists yet but I have a paddock for the kids ponies a couple of hundred yards form my house but along and across lanes....difficult to run power to. I want to section a 40m x 20m section of the paddock off for a schooling area but I need to light it for the kids to use for a couple of hours after school. I'm thinking led floodlights off a 12v car battery supply. Anyone know if this is feasable or if the equipment is available or powerful enough?

Sponsored Links
You (kids) would be forever humping car batteries back and forth.

Have a look at solar LED floodlight systems. THIS ONE states " can be used for lighting pathways, driveways, small car parks, riding arenas, public areas and for general convenience and security lighting.

But its not cheap at £2,000 :eek:

Highly doubtful, due to the size of the area.

40x20m = 800m²
Illuminated to 200 lux - which is actually rather dim - 160000 lumens required.
Typical LED lamp 100 lumens per watt.
Assuming no losses at all (impossible in real life), that's still 1600W of LED lighting, or over 130A from a 12V car battery. It might last for a minute or two before being totally destroyed. Then there is the significant expense of the LED lights themselves, the cabling etc. Plus the very significant problem of voltage drop over the long cables making a 12V solution totally impractical.

A more likely option would be a lighting tower with 4x 400W metal halide lights and a generator.

Either way, this will be expensive and inconvenient.

Ah well worth a try. Unfortunately these days leaving 2k worth of equipment in a remote paddock would almost certainly require daily replacement.

Sponsored Links
130A from a fag lighter? Well may be if the kids come in 10 cars.

We on the Falklands we did use wind chargers and solar panels but in a remote location not on a military run one could leave houses for 20 years doors unlocked and nothing went missing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back