12v lighting R.I.P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...

Can anyone tell me are 12v light transformers susceptible to surges or volt drop?
Was chatting to a friend at work today and he has just put two groups of 12v lights in his bed room but after a week one died and this morning the other one went south.
Now he lives in a huge house and tells me these two lights are on the end of the lighting circuit so im wondering if excessive volt drop could cause the transformers to pop? All the other light fittings on said circuit are working as normal.
Also they have died as soon as he turned his lights on,on both occasions so im wondering loose connections or surge?
HMMMMM.....

Sponsored Links
The stepped down side of the transformer will be more susceptable to voltage drop as it is only 12V to start with and the lamps require more current per watt than 240V
As it is a new set up I wouldn't be looking at worn lampholders but possibly overheating lamps or transfomers due to poor install method (eg insulation over transformer/lights or as you say loose connections from the offset)

I agree with ricircle probably bad installation method.

Surge – possible but improbable as whole area/network would surge, ie many people with popped transformers and computer hard drives? and since UK was quietly dropped down to 230v from 240v even more doubtful.

Last lighting circuit -rubbish

I love braided cable

Sponsored Links
Just got back from this job and yes it was bad connections.
He had run his spur for said circuit from an existing rose to a J.B over his bedroom, this J.B fed a switch cable to a single switch and a light wire to the first transformer but instead of running the cable from the mains side of the first transformer,to the next light he had run it from the stepped down side(12v),to the next light.
He tells me that second light worked fine for a week and then died but i wouldnt have thought it would have worked at all as it was only being fed with 12v hmmmm....
Also did a resistance test and an insulation test on the whole upstairs circuit and even checked the voltage at the fittings and got good readings.

Cheers for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back