12v transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been asked by a friend to look at there lights as they have stopped working.

He said that they are run of a 12v transformer in the loft, will there be just 1 transformer or 4 (there are 4 lights)?

Because if its just 1 then there could be just a loose cable and all the lights stopped working right?

Because there are no lights working at all and he said the switch is fine!

Sponsored Links
Depends who put them in and what mood they were in on the day as to how many transformers there are. Could be a blown transformer, loose connection, anything really. What sort of tranny - electronic or wire wound?

well to be honest i couldnt tell you what type of tranny, but lets say i replace the tranny if its blown, can i just replace it with any standard 240v to 12v transformer?

It needs to be similar to the one you take out, i.e. the correct rating and type.

Sponsored Links
well to be honest i couldnt tell you what type of tranny, but lets say i replace the tranny if its blown, can i just replace it with any standard 240v to 12v transformer?

There is no reason why you can not replace an electronic module with a wire wound transformer or visa versa. To be honest I prefer the wire wound type as I find them more reliable. The disadvantage is their weight though. Depends how it's mounted in the roof space.
However as Spark 123 has pointed out you would have to ensure that the VA rating of the transformer is sufficient for the load.
What are the wattage rating of the lamps?
Regards
FB

Can someone just explain the last post please, is there any reason one of these transformers cannot be run in conjunction with a dimmer, because thats what switch was used before, he had a dimmer and the lights stopped working so he thought he would change it to a standard 1 way switch!

Not all dimmers will work with electronic transformers. Not all dimmers will work with wirewound transformers. So saying you can always replace an electronic one with a wire wound one or visa versa isn't true.

But back to your friend - not all 12V power supplies like being dimmed, or they may only tolerate leading-edge or trailing-edge dimming, so it's possible that if he had a dimer that the PSU didn't like that he damaged it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back